Dr. Diana
Dr. Diana, Pediatrician
Experience:  I am a Pediatrician and a Neonatologist, with training completed both in Europe and US. I have been working in this field for the last 18 years.
75625871

My child is 3 months and 1 week. He was 2 months early. Can

My child is 3 months and 1 week. He was 2 months early. Can I give him a teaspoon of rice cereal to fill him up?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Diana replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Diana :

Hello, here is Dr. Diana and I will do my best to answer your question.

Dr. Diana :

First, thank you for using our services!

Dr. Diana :

I am a Neonatologist and work with preterm babies all the time.

Dr. Diana :

It is recommended to not give your baby cereal at this age.

Dr. Diana :

If your baby was 2 months early, then your baby is more like a 1 month old baby (if he would have been born at term)

Dr. Diana :

Why did you even think about giving cereal? Is your baby hungry all the time? What's your baby's weight and how much does he eat?

Dr. Diana :

what do you feed him?

Dr. Diana :

Please answer my questions so I could give you my advice.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

My baby eats non stop. He was bor at 4 lb 11 oz. He is now 11 lbs 11 oz. He breast feeds until both of my breast are depleted and then eats 6-8 oz. Of formula.the formula is neosure with iron

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Also he was 19.5 inches and now he is 23.5 long

Expert:  Dr.R.K replied 11 months ago.
Dr.Diana is offline.
Would you like to wait for her to come online again to answer your query or shall I give my opinion?
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX am on line
Your baby is growing appropriately. How often does he / she breastfeed? If it is sooner than 2 hours your milk does not have enough time to form properly and does not have the appropriate nutrients.
Also, I was going to ask you if your baby can hold his or her head up in a high chair.
Dr. Diana, Pediatrician
Experience: I am a Pediatrician and a Neonatologist, with training completed both in Europe and US. I have been working in this field for the last 18 years.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

He is eating every 1-2 hours on just breast feeding. When I pump I get 6-8 oz of milk. After depleting my breast he can eat another 6 oz of formula. He is just now picking his head up but not holding it up very long, only a minute or so. I was just curious about the rice cereal because other moms have suggested it but I don't want to go off young moms. I do wish for a break but I don't know what else to do. He sleeps very well at night can go almost all night with no problems but during the day he wants to eat non stop. He has normal bowel movements and urinates regularly. I can change him at night time and he goes back to sleep. any help would be appreciated.

What about give a break to your milk, and do not breastfeed more frequent than every 3 hours. This way your milk has time to properly form and will have more calories. This itself may help. Then, if he wants to eat more in between, give him formula. He is drinking formula now anyway. It may be that in a few days, after your milk will have better calories he will be satisfied eating just every 3 hours. He is old enough now to be oak for 3 hours in between feedings.
And now I want to tell you something very important. You need rest also. If he eats every 1-2 hours you are exhausted!!! Please ask for help in between breast feedings - someone else can give him formula! This is important for the quality of the milk also.
Please let me know if this helps. I will check back with you in a couple of days to see how it goes.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help.
Dr.D
Dr. Diana, Pediatrician