Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S. , Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

I need help, please !!!! My son is 11. He has developed

I need help, please !!!! My son is 11. He has developed what I believe is a vocal tic. He makes a yelping noise which sometimes sounds like he's gasping for air. Other times it sounds like humming of high pitched singing. The onset of this was about a month ago. I've had him evaluated by a pulmonary specialist to make certain that his breathing and lungs were good. The exam panned out well. My son plays football and tonight I made him stay home because I was nervous about the sound of this tic and him practicing football. I'm going crazy. I can't see a neurologist until 9-27!!! What should I do in the meantime? :(
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 2 years ago.
Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

How frequently does he make the sound?

Did you consult his pediatrician?

Does he take any other medicine?

Does he have any stress in school or with others?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pretty much throughout the day. No sound when he sleeps at night. The pediatrician was not too helpful. The nurse helped me with a referral to a neurologist. He is not taking medication. I'm sure there is stress with starting middle school and I north.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pretty much throughout the day. No sound when he sleeps at night. The pediatrician was not too helpful. The nurse helped me with a referral to a neurologist. He is not taking medication. I'm sure there is stress with starting middle school and so on.

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Allison,

Thank you for the input.

Tics may occur on their own without any definite identifiable cause

Stress can be a factor.

Simple tics often disappear on their own.

If it is too frequent or causing severe problem, medicine like mild sedatives can be prescribed.

If mild sedatives does not help then doctor may use other medications to control the symptoms.

Sometimes behavior therapy can be needed and it can help to prevent the symptoms.

Neurologist can help to rule out any other disorder like Tourette's & take functional imaging such as PET, SPECT if he feels necessary.

Do not allow him to take caffeine, excess sweet, chocolate, spicy food.

Video games, excess TV or computer works may worsen the condition.

You have done a good job by not allowing him to play at night as the symptoms are more now.

Let him have adequate sleep.

Relaxation & deep breathing can be helpful.

As the symptoms are more frequent, I would advise to take him to his pediatrician again.

If you feel pediatrician is not helpful, you can take him to a walk in clinic or urgent care.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service here. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.

If you are not satisfied & decide to click poor or bad service, please stop for a moment & feel free to ask & continue conversation by using reply button.

This will help me to explain further & satisfy you.

Wish his healthy life.

Warm Regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. What does PET and SPECT stand for? What might be an example of a mild sedative? Any thoughts on vitamin intake ?

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 2 years ago.
You are always welcome.

PET & SPECT are scans, positron emission tomography, simple photon emission computed tomography of the brain.

Different types of medicine are used, haloperidol, clonidine, guanfacine etc. can be helpful.

Before starting medicine, relaxation, deep breathing can be tried by himself.

Please give fresh fruits, vegetables more, avoid colored & junk foods.

Though the roles of vitamins is not known here, B vitamins can be taken. If there is any deficiency, it can help.