Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

I am 36 weeks, 6 days pregnant and learned today at an ultrasound

I am 36 weeks, 6 days pregnant and learned today at an ultrasound that my baby has a dilated umbilical vein (umbilical vein varix). The perinatal specialist referred me to my OB for induction of labor within the next 24 hours, and I am going to the hospital later this afternoon to start that process.

My question is - what causes dilated umbilical veins/umbilical vein varix, and is it likely that my baby will have brain damage as a result of the UVV?

The baby's heartrate was normal, in the 150s, and she otherwise looked great on the ultrasound - normal weight, normal anatomy, etc. We have ultrasounds every 4 weeks to assess fetal growth.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Hello, In most cases with normal development, outcome is good. Risk increases if there are any chromosomal anomalies associated or other birth defects are detected.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

In your case there has been no evident anomaly detected by ultrasound, so after delivery the baby will have to be assessed for chromosomal and other anomalies.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

In few such cases there may be enlargement of baby's heart, but this is not case with you so the outlook looks OK.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Cause of this anomaly is unknown.

Customer:

Is there an increased risk for brain damage or cerebral palsy as a result of the umbilical vein dilation/umbilical vein varix?

Customer:

At this point, I am concerned about the overall outcome and development, if there have been issues with the blood and oxygen flow due to the umbilical vein varix.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Brain development is not directly affected because varix can cause only heart problem due to circulatory effect, like blood stasis. Overall good growth and development so far indicates that circulation has not been compromised so no oxygen lack to brain is likely.