Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

hi my son has had chest congestion of some sort since he was

hi my son has had chest congestion of some sort since he was born he is now 7 months. The congestion is off and on quite often clear breathing and other times wet coughing and once in a while a little wheezy but goes away within minutes. He often spits up, less now than before but there is some mucous in it but unforunately he sucks it back up. I have heard of chronic chest congestion going away by 5 months, but his has persisted, could it just be some sort of allergy, he had baby eczema which is all cleared up now, and is breast fed almost exclusively, he seems to find food ok but makes this funny snorting sound when he takes more than a few bites, any help would be much appreciated, thanks
Welcome to Just Answer!
Thanks for posting your query.
I am Dr.Ratnakar and I am pleased to assist you.
If you have questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

First thing I would like to tell you is as long as the growth and development of your son is within normal range, it is unlikely that he is having any serious underlying chronic disease.

Occasional congestion could be due to infections. Most often it is due to viral infections and are self limiting.

If there is persistent of symptoms with a history of baby eczema, the congestion and cough can be due to allergic disease. Most often it presents as bronchiolitis with fever, runny nose and cough and are self limiting.

You have made a mention that when he takes more than a few bites he makes funny sounds and that he often spits up. These could be due to gastroesophageal reflux. This is a normal phenomenon seen in babies and occurs due to the stomach content refluxing in to the foodpipe. This usually resolves around 8-10 months of age when babies starting sitting with or without support.

So as said in my first line as long as the growth and development are within normal range, there is no need to worry.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so if he has not had fever or runny nose, then its not likely congestion d/t allergies? he does spit up several times a day but much less than previously.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
got no answer
Hello & welcome!
If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
Apologize for the delay in response, the other expert probably went offline before your reply,
I would like to differ slightly in my reply,
Allergies would generally occur without fever, however they may be initiated by a viral infection which may have fever too.
The mild amount of chest congestion and mucus that he has experienced does not confirm the diagnosis of chest allergy.
However follow up over the next few months would further clarify the situation,
Overall, the reduced spitting and the clearing of baby eczema are positive signs and do indicate that is health is likely to remain good in time to come as well,
Please give a positive review if the answer was helpful,
You are welcome to get back for any clarifications,
Warm regards
Dr Gupta, MD

Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience: MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
Sorry I was offline as I went to see patients.
What Dr.Gupta has said is right.
Babies less than one year most often have viral infections causing bronchiolitis ( which I have mentioned in my previous post) and these babies present with fever,congestion, runny nose and breathing issues. Some but not all babies with recurrent attacks of bronchiolitis and history of eczema , family history of allergy and asthma may later develop full blown asthma like issues.
Your son is only having occasional congestion, cough and wheeze which as mentioned in my previous post could be due to viral infections which are usually self limiting.
I presume now you understand what I was trying to say.

As Dr.Gupta has said follow up over the next few months will clarify the situation.
But since the eczema is gone now and the spitting is reduced, it is less likely he may have long term effects.

Let me know if i can assist you further.