Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Should a 9 month old taking zyrtec in a.m. also be given benadryl

Should a 9 month old taking zyrtec in a.m. also be given benadryl at bedtime? He has cold symptoms.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Benadryl is an antihistamine as is Zyrtec. Neither really work for cold symptoms since they are for allergies.

Dr. A. Clark :

Decongestants help with stuffy nose but are not approved or used in children under 4 years of age.

Dr. A. Clark :

Why is he on Zyrtec? It is not usually used in infants either.

Customer:

Thank you.

Customer:

I am the grandmother and was surprised when my daughter

Dr. A. Clark :

I see you are typing so I'll stand by.

Customer:

told me the pedi recommended this. Baby is at home, not exposed to many children. After being with cousins started stuffiness, runny nose. Coincidentally a 9 month check-up with Dr. was a few days later. Dr. said give Zyrtec. My daughter added the benadryl at night to help him sleep. I was concerned.

Dr. A. Clark :

I don't recommend benadryl except for allergic reactions in infants and am always concerned that parents give it more to make their baby sleep than for allergies.

Dr. A. Clark :

Zyrtec is sometimes given for allergies in young children but rarely in infants 9 months old!

Customer:

This could be allergies due to fall weather change, but I didn't think infants had a well enough developed system to experience true allergy symptoms

Customer:

I agree with you 110%.

Customer:

What do you recommend ?

Dr. A. Clark :

You are correct in that infants don't usually have seasonal allergies, having only been around less than a year so unexposed to pollens. It is the re-exposure that starts the allergic process so not until the second year. Allergic reactions to poison ivy, antibiotics, etc are different and benadryl works for that.

Dr. A. Clark :

For colds and stuffy noses at this age all that is necessary is keeping the nose suctioned out and elevating the bed to help him breath, as well as a cool mist humidifier at night.

Customer:

No tylenol?

Dr. A. Clark :

Tylenol is fine but is for fever or achiness and will not help congestion.

Customer:

Excellent advice! Very happy to discover this site.

Customer:

Thank you for the opportunity to speak with you at such a late hour.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions and if not I hope you will take advantage of the opportunity to rate my advice when you exit chat. Please feel free to ask for me by name the next time you have a question about your grandchild.

Customer:

I certainly will!!!

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.