Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My baby is 6 months old and has a rash on her lower back, right

My baby is 6 months old and has a rash on her lower back, right above the diaper. It is small red bumps. It seems to be noticeable after she has been held or takes a warm
bath. In the morning, when I change her diaper, I can't see it. But as the day goes by, you can see it. It doesn't itch or burn or bother her. Also, can babies have dry scalp? She had a dry, flaky scalp back of her head, but after one wash with conditioner, it is gone.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Hello, Can you upload a picture of rash? You can use paper-clip like icon for that.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Rash could be due to minor friction occurring while being held or edge of diaper. Scalp rash and drying could occur due to dandruff which is common in babies this age. You can use mild hydrocortisone cream if the scalp rash persists.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Does the back rash blanch when pressed?

Customer: yes. The rash blanches.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Please avoid rubbing hard and soap over skin around rash. No need for any medication if it does not bother her.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Please consult pediatric dermatologist if rash persists beyond couple of weeks.

Customer: It only seems to be when she
Customer: I think it is from the diaper rubbing her skin, or when she gets warm, or when she is held. Because in the morning it's not there.
Hello & welcome!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
From your reply above it is quite likely that your baby has a sensitive skin and the rash is due to the local irritation that may occur due to diaper or even warm water.
In most cases, no specific treatment is needed for this, but if the rash starts bothering her (not at the present) or it increases in size then certainly a pediatrician visit may be indicated for appropriate evaluation and treatment.
In the mean time, I would recommend using simple measures like avoiding very warm water, changing the diaper brand and making sure that it fits snugly (does not rub against a the skin) and not worrying too much about this :)
Warm regards
Dr Gupta, MD
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience: MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.