Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

Im quite concerned, my 7 year old just ate chicken 3 weeks

I'm quite concerned, my 7 year old just ate chicken 3 weeks past the 'use by' date. What should i do?

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Hello, Sorry this happened with her. If it was refrigerated well, no harm may occur. Please observe her few hours giving only liquids. Take her to ER if there are symptoms like stomach pain, diarrhea, vomiting.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

There may be fever also if there is salmonella infection.

Customer:

Its been almost 5 hours since this happen. So far so good. I was wondering if there was anything i could give him as preventive?

Customer:

Would it make any difference that i had heated the chicken up to 180 degrees? Also, it was packaged pre-cooked strips that were still sealed.

Customer:

Forgot to mention i ate it as well. I'm feeling fine so far.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Yes, heating would have destroyed any germs. No harm is likely to either of you. No special preventive drug is needed.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

If stale and altered, it would have tasted different.

Customer:

Its now been 14 hours, would symptoms have appeared yet if there was any contamination?

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

You are welcome and please await next bowel movement in both, for resting assured about harmlessness.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

If normal and regular, the chapter is closed.

Customer:

Thank you again. He had a bowel movement last night a few hours after eating and i did in the morning. Both were normal. Chapter should be closed : )

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada :

Welcome again. Rate the reply positively please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to bother you again but i was wondering ...

When i looked online right after eating the out of date chicken i read that salmonella can take up to 12-72 hours before symptoms show but sometimes as long as a month. Is it really possible that we could feel fine for the past three days and then have symptoms appear days or even weeks later?

The reason i ask is because after two normal bowel movements (the past two days) my son had slight pains in his tummy tonight and had to go a little more urgent than normal and looser than normal (not diarrhea). He had been holding it all day though (something he does often that we are working on), and had just eaten dinner about 30 minutes earlier. Afterwards he felt fine again and hasn't gone since. Its been over an hour. Even when holding it for a couple days he never goes loose or 'slightly explosive'.

Would you think this is a separate incident?

The germ will cause repeated loose motions but if you cooked (heated) the dish the germ will not survive. Only eating raw causes this infection.