Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

hello my son starting developing a watery eye. we called our

hello my son starting developing a watery eye. we called our ped and the rn said that as long as the whites of his eye was fine that it shouldn't be a problem to just use warm compresses. His eye seemed to be getting better but he just woke up and underneath his eye is red and there is pus on the inside of his eye medially.

what should we do

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

As long as the white of the eye is not bloodshot then it is likely not pinkeye. Any extra drainage from the eye is just the mucous and tears that don't drain through the little duct in the inside corners of his eyes. This matter will irritate the skin under the eye but is not pinkeye.

Dr. A. Clark :

Has he been ill or had a cold?

Dr. A. Clark :

What looks like pus is likely just mucous and at his age his nasolacrimal duct is still not open very good.

Customer:

Not really. He sneezes every now and then but he hasn't recently had a cold.

Dr. A. Clark :

Then I think it is not pinkeye and you can continue just to wash it out and he's not contagious

Customer:

Other than warm compress is there anything else we can do? Does it usually resolve eventually on its own?

Customer:

We are leaving for an international trip early tomorrow morning for 5 days and just want to make sure it is not something that we need to bring him in for.

Dr. A. Clark :

That will help and it will go away in 3-5 days. If the eye becomes bloodshot and he has constant drainage then he might need a prescription eye drop.

Dr. A. Clark :

Did you have any other questions?

Customer:

should we try a saline wash or rinse?

Dr. A. Clark :

Saline is fine or just water.

Customer:

does the temperature of the water matter?

Dr. A. Clark :

Not at all

Customer:

great thank you