Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My 8 year old has just told me she has been seen what I think

My 8 year old has just told me she has been seen what I think is floaters since the first grade and she is now in the third grade. I took her to the eye doctor and he said that she has some changes in her viscous fluid. He did a lot of test to include checking her eye nerve and he said everything looked fine. He does not think we need to see a neurologist but wants to see her in three months. She says she only see's one spot at a time about every other day. will it get worse? I'm really worried.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hello.

Dr. A. Clark :

Has she ever had any eye injuries?

Dr. A. Clark :

Floaters in children without a history of an eye injury are usually just little bubbles on the surface of the eye (called the conjunctiva) and are harmless.

Customer:

no , she has never had an eye injury. I just worried it will get worse or she will loose her eyesight.

Dr. A. Clark :

There can also be floaters due to fractures or cracks in the vitreous chamber which is the major vessel of the eyeball through which we see.

Dr. A. Clark :

If she has had no injuries and her retina and optic nerve are ok then I think she is just seeing harmless little floating bubbles over the surface of the eye and you need not worry.

Customer:

The eye doctor said that he saw fractures in her vitreous chamber today. will they get worse as she gets older. I keep reading that its abnormal in children .

Dr. A. Clark :

No, they generally eventually drop to the bottom of the chamber and are no longer visible. I've had them off and on for years and my eye doctor said to just ignore them since my exam is normal otherwise.

Dr. A. Clark :

These can be due to a blow to the eye are fall that makes little fracture lines in the vitreous, which has the consistency of jello.

Dr. A. Clark :

Sometimes the just appear and then gradually work their way down to the bottom and out of the line of sight.

Customer:

what is the difference between what she sees and what older people complaint off that might block their vision. My boyfriend says he sees a lot of grey dot in front of him all the time.

Dr. A. Clark :

Even when due to trauma, as long a the retina is ok, they will gradually resolve over time.

Dr. A. Clark :

There can be visual field issues with pressure in the eye or on the optic nerve, glaucoma, etc so if he hasn't seen an ophthalmologist for this then he should.

Customer:

ok .. thank .. I will try not tow worry. Its just kind of hard since she has been seen them for two years.

Dr. A. Clark :

The fact that they have been there for 2 years and her exam continues to be normal except for the vitreous, is reassuring and I wouldn't worry.

Customer:

ok ..thanks

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome.