Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My one year old daughter has a strange rash that her pediatrician

My one year old daughter has a strange rash that her pediatrician can't figure out. Its does not itch or seem to bother her at all. She isn't ill - no fever or changes in behavior. They mostly look like bulls eyes and they are spread everywhere but mostly on her face. I have pictures. We were told they were insect bites but we have been keeping her inside and have cleaned her room about 100 times! So why it keeps progressing is stumping me.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 11 months ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. If you have pictures you can post here that would really help me. Did the doctor tell you what this rash is called: urticaria, erythema multiform, etc?

Dr. A. Clark :

Sorry, multiforme.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Dr. A. Clark :

Yep, as I expected, that is erythema multiforme, which is a form or hives or urticaria.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Dr. A. Clark :

How long has she had it?

Customer:

about 5 days and everyday it seems to progress to a new lesion

Customer:

those on her cheek are new ones today but she has older ones on her arms and legs

Dr. A. Clark :

Did her doctor tell you that is what it is?

Customer:

they aren't bothering her at all - its as if she doesn't even know they are there

Customer:

my doctor said she thought it was a reaction to spider bites

Dr. A. Clark :

It is quite common and totally harmless unless part of an acute allergic reaction.

Dr. A. Clark :

Not spider bites!!

Customer:

If it were acute I guess we would know after 5 days! So just let it runs its course?

Dr. A. Clark :

This is usually a virus and is not contagious since the rash is there and generally has no other symptoms with it or even itching (which would occur with an allergic reaction or bites).

Dr. A. Clark :

Here is a link to a good discussion about EM:

Customer:

That is what was bothering me about the spider bite diagnosis - she doesn't itch.

Dr. A. Clark :

Is her doctor a pediatrician?

Customer:

Yes she is a pediatrician- we just moved to Houston so it is a new physician to our family. I'm actually an anesthesiologist and didn't really go for the spider bite thing. My husband is freaking out about this so he will feel much better now.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm a bit surprised she didn't make this diagnosis but I've been doing this for 35 years so I've seen everything! This is actually pretty common and totally harmless.

Dr. A. Clark :

Here's a good pic that could be your little girl:

Customer:

Thanks so much. I wish we knew what triggered it but she is a laid back baby that acts like nothing bothers her.

Dr. A. Clark :

There is no need to treat it as it is most often viral (read the first link I sent) and it doesn't bother the child, only the parents!!

Customer:

Thanks so much.

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome. You have a pretty, though spotted, daughter!

Customer:

Thanks! She is definitely spotted - people look at her like she has leprosy!

Dr. A. Clark :

I understand but with most viral exanthems they are no longer contagious when the rash appears, except for chickenpox.

Dr. A. Clark :

Often with EM there is no prodrome as with many of these viruses.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.