Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.

My 7 year old just informed me of her pain in her breast. On

Customer Question

My 7 year old just informed me of her pain in her breast. On her right side i felt and it was a hard knot and it was slighty red and on the left it was a small know like the size of a pea she said that the left did not her but her right one did at the touch. She is only 7 she as a appointment tomorrow to be seen but could i ge some feed back so i can prepare myself a little for the outcome? Thanks in advance
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 10 months ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. I see you are offline but let me go ahead and see if I can relieve your stress a bit.

Dr. A. Clark :

This is nothing to worry about in a girl her age as the first sign of puberty in girls is breast bud development. These occur behind the nipple and are painful on one or both sides off and on. So the outcome you are preparing for is puberty I'm afraid but don't worry about it at this point as the timeline for all of these events in a girl are breast buds and a little growth spurt about 2 years before pubic hair and then another year or so before the onset of her first menstrual period. That will make her 10 at least so perhaps a bit young but daughters generally follow the same pattern their mothers did.

Dr. A. Clark :

Breast cancer and other serious problems are absolutely NOT a concern at her age and I assure you her doctor will (hopefully) tell you the same thing. No tests are really required unless you just need to know if she is really into puberty and in that case all usually do is get what is called a bone age film to look at the bones in both hands and wrists, on the same xray plate. This will show if her growth is advanced beyond her age and can help predict if this is going to progress more quickly or not. The issue with any testing is that you really are not going to do anything about it to slow it down, much as parents wish they could.

Dr. A. Clark :

I see you are still offline so I'll watch for your return to chat as this communication mode on JustAnswer does not allow us to standby without "chatting" for longer than 4 minutes, which it has now warned me with pop up windows three time now.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'll be notified when you return to chat and if you have questions just let me know. Otherwise, if you are satisfied with my advice I trust that you will take advantage of the opportunity to rate me when you exit chat.

Dr. A. Clark :

Thanks.

Customer: Thank you so much. That makes me feel a little easy. Well again thanks for you assistance
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.