Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My son is 8 he vomits one day. Then goes a couple of day he

My son is 8 he vomits one day. Then goes a couple of day he is fine and then he Vomits again. We think he has a virus. My other son and wife had it and they got over it in two days. It seem he has a problem getting over it. we are trying to get a stool sample. but he is not eating much we can not get one. LOOK FOR SOME ANSWERS. OH the doctor says if its a virus it has to run its course.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

It does sound like a virus for sure and some kids just take longer to shake it. The stool specimen is really not helpful since he's not having diarrhea and most of the time is not going to change anything about how you treat a gastroenteritis. The reason for this is that the overwhelming majority are viral and don't show up on the culture and bacterial gastroenteritis is rare and presents with fever, chills, and often bloody diarrhea.

Dr. A. Clark :

You might pick up one of the over the counter acid medications such as zantac or tagamet as they will sometimes help soothe the stomach since it is likely all he really has is a residual gastritis (irritation of the stomach) due to the virus and it will go away soon I assure you.

Dr. A. Clark :

You may allow him to eat and drink anything he wants as it will not really affect the course of the illness.

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.