Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My 5.5 weeks old baby didnt poo for 3 days now. Is this a

My 5.5 weeks old baby didn't poo for 3 days now. Is this a concern? She's fed with breast milk and formula top up. First time she didnt poo for this long. Usually every other day or one time she didnt poo for 2 days.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hello. Are you able to chat?

Dr. A. Clark :

Perhaps you have stepped away from your computer so I'll stand by.

Customer: Hello
Dr. A. Clark :

Hi.

Dr. A. Clark :

Most babies go through a period where their stools become less frequent and a bit thicker at around 4-6 weeks so this is entirely normal and nothing to worry about.

Dr. A. Clark :

Sometimes when formula is supplemented it can cause them to slow down a bit too.

Customer: This is the longest stretch she had and I thought only breastfed babies can go on days without poop
Dr. A. Clark :

No, actually all babies do this at 4-6 weeks and parents think this is constipation but as long as the stools are soft then it's not.

Customer: she had been supplemented with formula since 2 weeks old. Never had a problem back then and she poops multiple times a day. Then slowly become once a day. Since a week ago, every other day. And now 3 days?!
Customer: she hasn't pooped yet so I don't know what texture it'll be. But prior was always soft
Customer: When will this be a concern or how can I tell she's constipated?
Dr. A. Clark :

That's exactly what most babies do at her age and I assure you is nothing to worry about as it will correct itself in time. If she goes more than 4-5 days you can give her either a glycerin suppository or an ounce or two of apple juice.

Dr. A. Clark :

Constipation is not about frequency but rather about having hard stools, like rocks.

Dr. A. Clark :

Babies stool patterns change all the time since their GI system is changing and over the first several months you are adding foods and juices to the diet too.

Customer: okay. I guess I'll patiently wait and see when she decides to poop. She looks normal to me so far
Dr. A. Clark :

Other than being a bit gassy and fussy, it will not hurt her.

Customer: she release gas all the time and wet at least 7 diapers a day. Just no poop
Dr. A. Clark :

Then she's well hydrated and she will eventually poop.

Customer: Ok. Thanks for your help