Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Hi - I went to my obgyn today to evaluate some sore redness

Hi - I went to my obgyn today to evaluate some sore redness on my nipples-- she thinks I have a yeast infection on my nipples and also vaginally. She prescribed diflucan - just one pill to treat the yeast. I am breastfeeding a 2 month old baby and I am wondering if I should feed him formula? Should I not worry about it? I read that diflucan is super hard on the liver... If I do take it and feed him formula, how long does the drug stay potent and potentially harmful in my system?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. Are you able to chat right now?

Dr. A. Clark :

Perhaps you have stepped away from your computer but I'll give you the short answer now and then if you have any questions please let me know.

Dr. A. Clark :

Diflucan is used all the time both in adults and in children, even in infants as young as yours. There is very little of the medication that actually crosses into breastmilk and a recent paper just published by the American Academy of Pediatrics this month has confirmed this for most medications breastfeeding mothers take.

Customer:

Yes I can chat

Dr. A. Clark :

It is always wise to ask but with diflucan yo need not worry.

Dr. A. Clark :

Did you see my longer response above?

Customer:

So I can breastfeed as usual and not worry about the baby?

Dr. A. Clark :

Absolutely. I have used oral diflucan suspension on infants many times and you should know that most drugs are metabolized in the liver so liver damage is always listed as a complication, but rarely occurs.

Dr. A. Clark :

No worries at all, I assure you.

Customer:

thanks