Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

At what age do you consider height growth to be complete?

At what age do you consider height growth to be complete? Do you have any suggestions for enhancing height growth or is it completely a matter of genetics?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hello.

Dr. A. Clark :

I see you are asking for your grandson so let me ask you a couple of questions.

Dr. A. Clark :

Is his health generally good or has he had any major illnesses or other health problems that might interfere with his growth?

Customer:

his health is very good

Dr. A. Clark :

Also, to gauge where he is in growth, has he hit puberty yet? I realize you may not know the answers but has he had any growth spurt, voice change, acne, pubic hair, body odor, etc?

Dr. A. Clark :

Also, is this something the entire family is concerned about or just your grandson and what, if any, evaluation has been done: lab, X-ray, etc?

Customer:

He does not have acne, perhaps a slight change in voice, no body odor.

Dr. A. Clark :

I suppose you would not know about pubic hair - genitals or under arms?

Customer:

He is concerned as is especially his mother. As far as I know no evaluation other than routine exam. I do not know about pubic or under arm hair.

Dr. A. Clark :

Another important piece of information regarding the genetics is what the growth pattern was for his father and mother. Were they "late bloomers" and what about their height now as adults?

Customer:

I would not say late bloomers. I would estimate the height of mother and father about 5'6'

Dr. A. Clark :

At his age most boys have entered puberty but those who are otherwise healthy but delayed generally are that way due to familial tendency toward late puberty. Bone growth closely mirrors puberty and thus if he is not really into puberty yet then he is likely just fine. If his mother is 5-6 the she is slightly above average height but if Dad is only 5-6 then he is short, with average men being 5-10, which can also explain his son's size right now.

Dr. A. Clark :

It is very easy to evaluate where he is and predict what the future holds with simply a good checkup, paying attention to his stage of puberty and plotting his height and weight accurately and comparing to previous points on the growth chart I'm sure his doctor is keeping on him. The second thing to do is simply to get what is called a "bone age" xray which is just a single film of both hands and wrists on the same xray plate. His bone age is determined by comparing the development of the bones in his hands and wrists to the norms established. Three measures can then be determined and plotted on his growth chart for height: Chronological age, Height age (the point where his current height intercepts the 50th percentile for a younger boy) and his bone age.

Dr. A. Clark :

What this usually reveals in a boy his age who is short but not yet in puberty is he will have a height age of say 10, pubertal or bone age of 10 or 11, while his actual age is 14. The "height age" is usually identical to the "bone age" and this is good news since it means he's just a late bloomer and will grow.

Dr. A. Clark :

Did you have any questions?

Dr. A. Clark :

Are you still there?

Customer:

I am still here. I do not have any other questions at this time. Thank you for your assistance.

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.