911doc
911doc, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Experience:  Board Certified in Emergency Medicine for 11 years. I am an expert in pediatric emergencies.
19155615

My 3 year old just got five stitches on his forehead. Is it

My 3 year old just got five stitches on his forehead. Is it best to put a lot of neosporin to keep it moist or should I be allowing it to dry out? Also, this happened yesterday (Thursday) and they told us to go back to take them out Tuesday. Is this a good time frame or do you think it should be sooner or later? Thanks

911DOC :

no

911DOC :

do not put neosporin on it

911DOC :

this could weaken the stitches

911DOC :

leave it dry

911DOC :

and yes

911DOC :

Tuesday should be fine to have them out

911DOC :

but if the wound is not ready they will leave them in a bit longer OR they will take them out and put some steri-strips or glue on it

911DOC :

forehead wounds and facial wounds, especially in kids, heal very quickly and very well

911DOC :

standing by if you have questions for me

911DOC :

?

911DOC :

are you there?

911DOC :

do you have any other questions for me?

911DOC :

you should not put neosporin in this

911DOC :

leave it clean and dry

911DOC :

perhaps cover it with a dry bandage or band aid to keep your child from picking at the stiches

911DOC :

but that's it

911DOC :

are you there?

911DOC :

I do not see you in the chat so will change this to a Q and A format.

If your question has been adequately answered please consider leaving positive feedback. If you have further questions simply type them in the box below and click reply. Have a great evening, and, should you need my assistance in the future please begin your question with 'for 911doc'.

Best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry had trouble opening the chat. Thank you for your answer. Does it matter( besides from preventing him to pick at it) how long the bandaid stays on? Is it better to have it on or off for healing or any other purpose?
The band aid probably does nothing other than make YOU feel better. If you think you child would pick at it I would cover it, if not, open to the air is just fine.
Best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you appreciate it. Is it painful when the stitches come out?