Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Hi, my name is Michael. I have a 4 1/2 year old daughter.

Hi, my name is Michael. I have a 4 1/2 year old daughter. She spends 11 days a month with me in Southern CA and the rest of the month in Portland with her Mom. Her Mom is teaching her to wipe her butt from the front forward thus going right over the vagina with her poo poo. I have heard that is not the right way and that it can be dangerous and potentially cause infections. Please let me know the reality of this important part of growing up. Thank you, Michael
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi.

Dr. A. Clark :

You are correct that improper wiping (back to front) can lead to urinary tract infections, though likely not as commonly as we once thought.

Dr. A. Clark :

Perhaps your ex has always attended to her own hygiene this way and thus doesn't know any better?

Dr. A. Clark :

I always encourage mothers (and dads) to teach their potty training little girls to wipe front to back as it is much more hygienic and safer.

Dr. A. Clark :

Did yo have any questions about my comments?

Dr. A. Clark :

Sorry I'm seeing patients so in and out of chat. Did you have any questions or is there anything else I can do to assist you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'll exit chat since it times us out after 4 minutes. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. A. Clark :

I trust you found my advice helpful and if so that you will take the opportunity to rate my answer as you leave chat.