Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Whena healthy one year old is still getting up 3 times a night

Whena healthy one year old is still getting up 3 times a night what do you suspect is the problem.. Physical says she is healthy
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

With a normal physical exam and I assume she has been healthy her first year I suspect you have a sleep problem that can be fixed, but only if you are willing to follow a strict program to retrain her to fall asleep on her own.

Customer: Okay please describe
Dr. A. Clark :

Most all children will go through disrupted sleep periods and the solution, while a bit nerve wracking, is to use the techniques outlined by Dr. Richard Ferber, a pediatric neurologist who is the world's leading expert on sleep problems in children.

Dr. A. Clark :

Have you heard of Dr. Ferber or his book: Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems?

Customer: What are they?
Customer: No have not
Dr. A. Clark :

To summarize it here all it involves is a progressive, night by night program of allowing her to cry for longer and longer periods of time until she learns that you are not going to pick her up or otherwise react to her. This seems harsh but I assure you I've never seen a child, if their parents strictly follow his program, fail to learn to go to sleep on their own and sleep all night. I won't lie to you that the first night or so can be pretty harrowing but I've done this myself with my own children and have advised literally over a thousand parents to do the same with their children and all were successful.

Dr. A. Clark :

Here are a couple of websites that discuss this Ferber method:

Dr. A. Clark :

Go to these links first as they discuss the technique in more detail but I guarantee you that if you either buy his book or download the ebook online you will be on your way to quiet nights very soon.

Customer: okay thanks - will read these and get book
Dr. A. Clark :

Be sure to read the introductory chapters first and don't just skip to the chapter about your baby. This will help you to fully understand why his methods work and help you not to give up in the middle of the night. I literally had to sit on my wife when we did this with our youngest daughter and the 3rd night she started sleeping ALL night every night from that point on.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions and if not I trust you will take the opportunity to rate my advice favorably when it is presented to you when you leave chat. Thanks so much.

Dr. A. Clark :

I just checked Amazon and the Kindle edition is $9.99.

Customer: Thanks
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.