Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Good Evening Doctor, Major Concern with the following: What

Good Evening Doctor,

Major Concern with the following:

What are the Symptoms of TB in a Baby of 7 Months?

She has a tight chest, with a dry and at times wet cough.

During the day its seems to ease, however in the evening she blocks up very badly, and has a high fever.

We have a suspicion she has Bronchitis, but how do we confirm this. We have been to the hospital on many occasions over the last few weeks, and have serious doubdt to her Diagnosis.

Your professional opinion would be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Natasja Uys
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hello. Are you able to chat now?

Dr. A. Clark :

Perhaps you are away from your computer so let me offer my advice and then I'll watch for your return to chat if you have questions.

Dr. A. Clark :

First, I doubt TB also since her TB test was negative (not 100% accurate), but the gastric washings and blood tests are diagnostic and if negative then she does not have TB regardless of the X-ray. Chronic cough in children is often due to either infection (bronchitis, sinusitis) or some inflammatory process in the lung including asthma and bronchiolitis. TB does not generally present with cough in infants and they are usually without symptoms until they develop chronic fever.

Dr. A. Clark :

The diagnosis of bronchitis is generally made solely based on the history and hers is certainly compatible, though an underlying lung problem such as cystic fibrosis, allergy, asthma, parasites, etc are also possible. I would first simply treat her with an appropriate antibiotic for bronchitis, such as cefdenir or augmentin, for 2 weeks.

Dr. A. Clark :

A diagnosis based on an xray alone without laboratory confirmation is rare and again, coughing would not be the presenting symptom.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'll watch for your return to chat with any questions you might.

Customer:

Evening Doctor,

Customer:

Im so relieved and just confirmed my suspicions.

Customer:

I'm going to begin with the treatment immediately.

Customer:

One question though.

Customer:

If we stop the TB treatment is there any side affects

Customer:

Evening Doctor

Dr. A. Clark :

No problem stopping the TB therapy (I assume she is on rifampin and isoniazid, or equivalents) and these drugs are safe to stop.

Customer:

yes she is on the abovementioned tratement.

Customer:

Thank you for your response, and professional opinion

Dr. A. Clark :

It sounds like they committed her to a 6-12 month course of TB drugs even in the face of negative laboratory confirmation! Even if I'm wrong, discontinuing it to see how she responds to antibiotics would be safe as children do NOT spread TB as adults do.

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome.

Customer:

The fact that they could treat my child with no proper data is very discomforting, and this was at a hospital It raises doubt about there expertise and professionalism.

Customer:

Im going to stay in contact with you regading this, so we can enjoy my childs recovery together

Customer:

Thank you for your quick response and Professionalism.

Customer:

Your expertise should be more available to others. May I suggest LinkedIn. Without a doubt, you would be able to help many others with your expertise.

Customer:

Once again, thank you Doctor, and I will correspond on her progress daily.

Customer:

Enjoy your evening.

Customer:

Kind Regards

Customer:

Natasja Uys

Dr. A. Clark :

You as well.

Dr. A. Clark :
Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I glad you found my advice helpful and trust that you will at some point return to chat to rate my answer favorably. Thanks and my best to you and your family.

I trust you will return to our conversation to favorably rate/accept my answer. If you have any further questions please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr Clark,

Im happy to report that the medication has been changed and the child is doing well.

I need to mention though that, I did the enquiry on behalf of my housekeeper.

unfortunately for her, she relies on Govemental hospitals for help as she cannot afford private Healthcare.

I saw the child and was not happy with what I saw and decided to help her.

the Doctors at the hospital are now up in arms due to our confrontation, and concerned we might hand them over to the authorities.

I see this as very serious that a 7 month old child can be mis treated talkie this.

Shocking, but that's our state hospitals for you.

Without my intervention, my housekeeper would have continued with her struggle.

Regards

Natasja Uys

her

What great news and also what a nice thing to do for this child. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you and I trust that since you found my advice helpful you will rate/accept my answer as that is the only way experts are compensated is if our customers are satisfied.

In any case I wish you and the family well.