Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Hello, While babysitting our 10yr. Old grandson the other

While babysitting our 10yr. Old grandson the other night he suddenly sat up from a sound aleep. His arms and legs stiffened and cramped up and his face diatorted. He seemed confused. This lasted approx. one minute. When he was fine again he told us he had been aware of what had happened and that his throat had felt like it was on fire and the heart beat in his neck was pounding really fast. He told us this has happened to him a few times before in his own bed at home, but he had never told anyone.
He had a stroke at 28hrs. old. He now takes Concerta and Melatonin. This was very frightening to witness and we will take him to the Dr., but should he be seen more urgently than this?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 2 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your grandchild and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping grandparents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

No, I don't think that there is anything acute or dangerous going on as long as he seems otherwise fine, alert, talking well, balance OK, etc.

Dr. A. Clark :

He needs to see his doctor though and then perhaps a neurologist as it sounds like he may be having some type of seizure, which would not be unusual in a child who had a stroke and the resultant scar tissue in his brain, even this late.

Dr. A. Clark :

The other thing to consider would be his heart and perhaps having some type of arrhythmia but his doctor can check this out as well with an EKG.

Dr. A. Clark :

I see you are offline but if you have any further questions please let me know as I'll be online the rest of the evening and want to be sure I address all of your concerns.