911doc
911doc, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Experience:  Board Certified in Emergency Medicine for 11 years. I am an expert in pediatric emergencies.

Hi, my 7 year old sons blood results are below: mch 28.1 mchc

Hi, my 7 year old son's blood results are below:
mch 28.1
mchc 35.2
rdw-sd 34.7
rdw-cv 12.3
wbc 4.61
monosit 9.1
mpv 8.6

these are the ones beyond the normal intervals. Other measures are all within the accepted levels. Does it mean anything to get worried? thank you in advance.
best
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  911doc replied 11 months ago.

911DOC :

What were the symptoms your son had to have the doctor draw this test?

Customer:

He had fewer (not very high around 39degrees)He was not feeling well and he was feeling cold with no reason.

911DOC :

is he doing better now?

Customer:

yes, he is much better. this test has been done couple of months ago.

Customer:

and the doctor said at the time that there is nothing to worry

911DOC :

yes

911DOC :

your doctor is correct

Customer:

but i have a fear if we are missing anything

911DOC :

this test is called a 'CBC' or complete blood count

911DOC :

and it is a very non-specific test and rarely helpful

911DOC :

the white count (WBC) is slightly low which can occur with just about any illness

911DOC :

and the other numbers are just details about the sizes, shapes, and numbers of the red and white cells in the blood.

911DOC :

there is nothing here that gives me any concern at all, especially since your son is recovered.

911DOC :

the terrible illnesses of chilhood

911DOC :

including leukemia

911DOC :

would show up on this test and the values would be VERY abnormal

911DOC :

these values are slightly abnormal and do not give concern at all for anything 'missed'.

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

shall we do another test and share with you its results? he always feels cold more than anybody else..

911DOC :

another test will not be helpful

Customer:

he cannot even stay in the pool long while his friends are swimming

911DOC :

there is no need to do this test again

911DOC :

I'm not sure what to say about that, and i understand your concern about your son's health

911DOC :

but I can't think of anything medically speaking to look for in this case to explain this

Customer:

he also has relatively high cholesterol at 196

911DOC :

how much does he weigh?

Customer:

23 kg

911DOC :

why did someone check his cholesterol? we typically don't check that until age 35.

911DOC :

so the answer regarding the pool may simply be that he does not have much body fat and gets cold more easily because of this, but this is a good thing.

Customer:

they wanted to have a look if he has hidden diabetics

Customer:

or whatever it is called. i am not native so might not good at choosing the right words

911DOC :

no worries. i understand you very well

Customer:

creatinin at 0.46

911DOC :

a cholesterol test tells us nothing about diabetes

911DOC :

the creatinine level is normal

911DOC :

and this tells us his kidneys are functioning just as they should

Customer:

glucose 100

911DOC :

glucose normal

911DOC :

he is not diabetic

Customer:

trigliserid 126

911DOC :

again, don't know why it is being measured in a 7 year old

911DOC :

the triglyceride level i mean

Customer:

i really dont know

Customer:

they were just trying to examine his weakness, i guess

911DOC :

so to summarize

911DOC :

it seems as if his doctor is being very thorough

911DOC :

and probably ordering labs that wouldn't normally be ordered based on your concerns

911DOC :

and nothing is turning up that gives concern

911DOC :

labs are helpful

911DOC :

WHEN the patient has an illness

911DOC :

but it is not clear to me that your child has any illness right now at all

Customer:

i understand you

911DOC :

so i would not worry any further about this

911DOC :

but would bring your concerns to his pediatrician, who sounds like he is doing a good job in looking for even rare diseases of children

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

most of the results were either high or low, that is the reason i thought although i trust the doc saying nothing to worry. just wanted to be on the safe side.

911DOC :

I understand

911DOC :

and part of the confusion you are having is that labs are often 'abnormal' even in healthy individuals, because the 'normal' values, especially in the lab you listed, can be slightly 'abnormal' one day and 'normal' the next. the key is to interpret the labs ALONG WITH your exam of the patient.

911DOC :

the labs are not a concern in this case.

911DOC :

do you have any final questions for me about your son?

911DOC :

any final questions for me?

911DOC :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

Experience: Board Certified in Emergency Medicine for 11 years. I am an expert in pediatric emergencies.
Expert:  911doc replied 11 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.