Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

I have a question about whether a child can develop hearing

I have a question about whether a child can develop hearing loss from exposure to a loud sound while the child is still in vitro. When I was about 30 weeks pregnant, I was sitting down with my laptop on my lap, when I got a telephone call on my cell phone. I put the phone on speaker and, without thinking, sat it on the top of my belly. After about 30 seconds, the baby kicked very hard, and it occurred to me that the cell phone on speaker might have been loud.

I was wondering if the exposure to a loud noise for less than a minute during pregnancy could produce hearing loss for the child?

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

You don't need to worry about this at all I assure you!

Dr. A. Clark :

For some time people have recommended playing music through headphones or even speakers designed to sit on a pregnant woman's tummy to stimulate the fetus. I'm not sure that this really does much good to produce more Van Cliburns or other musically gifted children but it doesn't hurt.

Dr. A. Clark :

A study actually done a few years ago of babies born to mothers in Japan who were in the flight path of the major airport turned out to be much calmer babies for having been exposed to the jet noise. Actually very little sound passes through all the layers and fluid surrounding the fetus but vibration does and I suspect that is all your baby felt with your phone.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. You're back!

Customer:

Ok, that makes sense. I was wondering why if she did not hear the phone, why she had a reaction.

Customer:

Just in case - I was wondering if hearing (and vision, for that matter) tests are generally administered to newborns in the hospital?

Dr. A. Clark :

In sonograms they often use a buzzer device to stimulate the fetus to move and sonograms are actually sound waves too so I would not worry about your phone.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hearing testing of all newborns is done automatically in all states now so that will be tested. Vision is not done until later unless there is something the pediatrician notices during the exams when the eyes are look into with an ophthalmoscope.

Customer:

Ok great. So, I don't need to worry about the short exposure to the loud speaker phone?

Dr. A. Clark :

Did I address all of your concerns?

Customer:

Yes, just wanted to confirm that I don't have to worry about the short exposure to loud noise from the speaker phone

Customer:

(knowing that there will be a hearing test early on is also helpful, just to let me relax)

Dr. A. Clark :

Not at all. You can relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. Good luck and best wishes.

Dr. A. Clark :

Is there anything else I can assist you with this evening?

Customer:

Thank you!