Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.

My 10 month old son hasnt been well for a week now. He had

My 10 month old son hasn't been well for a week now. He had a temp of 39C for 3 days his temp has now gone but he has started being sick having diahrea he's off his food grouchy, irritable has a bad cough which leaves him gasping for breath and has now developed and pink pin prick rash. What could this be?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 11 months ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. Can you chat now?

Customer:

Yes I can

Dr. A. Clark :

This is very likely roseola, a viral infection characterized by 2-3 days of fever to 103 or more and then a rash appears on the trunk and later the face but only after the fever is gone.

Dr. A. Clark :

It is harmless and when the rash appears they begin to feel better pretty quickly.

Customer:

is there anything I can do for the cough as he begins to choke and gasp for air. Also what can I give him to stop him being sick

Dr. A. Clark :

No, sorry, but as his age there are no cough medicines approved or safe. You should let him sleep in his car seat with a cool mist humidifier by his bed though as that will help.

Customer:

I have tried this but he won't settle at all. When he coughs it sounds like a whoop at the end but he's been vaccinated against whooping cough. Can he still catch it after being vaccinated

Dr. A. Clark :

Until all the immunizations have been given, including boosters, yes but unlikely. It might be a good idea for his doctor to take a look at him tomorrow or even at an A&E tonight if he cannot stop coughing.

Customer:

iT comes in bouts and lasts maybe a minute the he gasps for air and sometimes he projectile vomits after it. His dad has asthma

Dr. A. Clark :

At his age not likely asthma but just a cold but after a week I think he might need to be examined, his oxygen tested, etc.

Customer:

is whooping cough dangerous for a baby at 10 months old. I took him to see my doctor last week and told me it was probably just a viral infection but ran no tests only took his temp

Dr. A. Clark :

Yes, it can be very dangerous.

Customer:

How do they test for it? Does there need to be a temp. I am very paranoid after him telling me it was a viral infection as I got told the for 4 days and it turned out I had meningitis. He just seems to of got worse since our visit apart from him not having a temp

Dr. A. Clark :

There is a swab they can do that will tell pretty quickly.

Customer:

Can they do that in the go surgery? Is there always a temp with whooping cough? Does it require hospitalization?

Dr. A. Clark :

I would think so as we can do that test here in the US pretty quickly. No, not always fever but just a progressively worsening cough where the baby actually turns blue from not being able to catch its breath. It does require hospitalization.

Customer:

Could that be what's making him commit

Customer:

Vommit*

Dr. A. Clark :

Yes, for sure

Customer:

It seems to be a lot worse at night than during the day is this normal

Customer:

He's also chocking on his food a lot just now

Dr. A. Clark :

Pertussis is bad day and night but he could just have a bronchitis that needs an antibiotic.

Customer:

Would I be better taking him to a&e or taking him to the doctors first thing tomorrow

Dr. A. Clark :

If he is really having a lot of problem breathing and eating tonight I'd take him in now.

Customer:

He has just fallen asleep but is sounding very raspberry and sounds like he's purring. He never usually makes a noise when he's sleeping would that be classed as breathing difficulties he hasn't ate properly for a week now

Dr. A. Clark :

Perhaps but it sounds like he needs to be examined soon. If he's comfortable enough to sleep you can just watch him for now but if he wakes and can't catch his breath I'd take him in tonight.

Customer:

Ok thank you

Dr. A. Clark :

Good luck and don't take any chances if you are worried.

Customer:

Thank you. I've been worried for a week now but my whole family is saying its because he is teething

Dr. A. Clark :

Not teething I assure you.

Customer:

They won't listen to me. Thank you.

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.