Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My 6 year old son recently had an episode of vomitting followed

My 6 year old son recently had an episode of vomitting followed by a full body red skin rash non itchy in nature. The pediatrician pa diagnosed him with scarlet fever but strep culture came back negative. The rash went away after a week or so. No real fever or any other symptoms. I have been researching online and it bothers me that I can't get a definitive diagnosis. Are skin rashes common with children? I now fear he was somehow exposed to something horrible like hiv even though that seems very irrational. Please help me feel better or get to the bottom of this. Thanks tom

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Skin rashes due to viruses are VERY common in childre and especially this time of year. Right now we are seeing roseola, hand-foot-mouth disease, and various other rash viruses as well as some stomach bugs that cause rashes. That is likely what he had and now that the rash is gone he is over it and not contagious.

Dr. A. Clark :

You will not be able to find the exact virus that he had as there are well over 100 rash viruses that humans can catch and in our lifetime we usually have 4-6 of them as kids. The great thing is that we immunize against all the bad ones (measles, chickenpox, etc.) and there is no reason to worry about identifying the others like the one he just had.

Dr. A. Clark :

I see you are still offline but if you have any questions just let me know.