Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

my 6 year old daughter has had uti all her life. her bladder

my 6 year old daughter has had uti all her life. her bladder only empties 25
% of what it holds. back in februar they stretched her uretha and that worked for about 6 weeks and then the infections started back up. she has been on oxybutynin 5 mg 3 x daily for almost 2 years now along with an antibiotic she was on for a year. she has had an infection since april of 2013 and going on 5 months later she still has it. she has been on 4 different antibiotics but due to having to take them so much in her short life she has become resistant to everything. I cant get my dr to refer her to a pediatric urologists to get some answers. in your opinion what is going on and what do I do?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I find it incredible that she has not been seen by a urologist yet. Has she at least had a dye study of her bladder?

Dr. A. Clark :

Any female with more than 2-3 UTIs in her life needs a urological evaluation, either by her pediatrician with a pelvic sonogram and retrograde dye study of her bladder, ureters and kidneys.

Dr. A. Clark :

Particularly in a child with resistant infections which would indicate that she has a problem with reflux most likely.

Dr. A. Clark :

Urethral dilatation is rarely indicated as it is a very uncommon problem in girls.

Dr. A. Clark :

Are you able to chat?

Customer:

she has been to a urologists but no dye studies have been done all the urologist has done is trat with anibiotics and has had her uritha stetched

Customer:

ive tried toget them torefer her to a pediatric urologist in dallas for almost a year but her urologist wont do it

Dr. A. Clark :

That is not an adequate evaluation at all. I would insist that she have these two radiology studies: a sonogram of her kidneys to determine their size and a Voiding Cystourethrogram (VCUG), plus I would want to know about her kidney function with a BUN and Creatinine blood test.

Dr. A. Clark :

I am in the Dallas area and there are superb pediatric urologists here, both at Medical City Children's Hospital and and Children's Medical Center.

Dr. A. Clark :

They would never have waited this long for a proper evaluation.

Customer:

when they did the uritha dialation they did note that she has a small kidney but they did not do anything or act like it was going to be a problem. we never discussed anything about the small bladder

Customer:

small kidney sorry

Dr. A. Clark :

That is concerning me even more and again, I would insist on being referred to a pediatric urologist in Dallas. Here is the website for the best one I know:

Dr. A. Clark :

I'll be away from chat for a little while but promise I'll return if you have any further questions. I'd just call this specialist's office and ask for an appointment as soon as possible and not wait on your doctor any longer.

Customer:

ok thank you so very much I will call them first thing Monday morning

Dr. A. Clark :

Feel free to contact me later if you have any further questions.

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.