Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My daughter took methadone through her pregnancy. She gave

My daughter took methadone through her pregnancy. She gave birth to a beautiful healthy baby girl on august 20 2013. After several different people scoring the baby they decided to move the baby to the nicu for observation. They discharged my daughter and her husband took all their things to the car so they could stay with her and nurse her until they had to leave. When they got to the nicu 30 minutes later the nurse announced the baby was given .27 mgs of methadone to make her comfortable and would give her more through the night is she seemed to be suffering. 24 hours later when they got back to the nicu they immediately asked if they had to give her any more. They did not! The Dr said she was quite comfortable and would leave her at that dose probably 3 days. Can you please please give me an educated answer approximately how long it will take this princess to wean down to 0 mgs? Again she is receiving .27 mgs
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hello. I'm Dr. Clark and I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your grandchild and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping grandparents like you.

Customer:

hello

Dr. A. Clark :

In my experience it generally takes a week at least to wean from Methadone and I've treated for up to 2 weeks. It is simply a matter of slowly lowering the dose a bit every couple of days to withdraw her from the medication. Failure to withdraw slowly can make for a very irritable and screaming baby at the least.

Dr. A. Clark :

Babies do very well with a tapering regimen and if they become too fussy you just increase the dose slightly and the slowly taper again.

Customer:

would she receive any of the medicine through the breast milk

Dr. A. Clark :

Very little and not enough to keep her from withdrawal symptoms.

Customer:

really! hmmm isnt that odd nobody mentioned that. shes very little at 5lb 14 oz not that the weight is shockingly low, she does have tiny features including her mouth and is really struggling to latch on. my daughter is pumping and feeding her that way. she will eventually latch on right? is it even possible my daughters nipples are too big for her to feed from

Dr. A. Clark :

Yes, but it might be good for the hospital to get her seen by their lactation consultants as they have lots of tricks they can show her.

Dr. A. Clark :

We generally cautions nursing moms about taking pain meds and nursing but not because of the effects on the baby but rather just that Mom stays alert and doesn't drop the baby over the side of the bed!

Customer:

we have been working hours a day with her shes sweet but also said kates nipples are too big for her mouth right now. she had me order quick latch from amazon which only makes the nipplw more pretruding. of course now my daughter is discharged and these things are not available to her any more. one more question if you f

Customer:

you would...

Dr. A. Clark :

The lactation consultants can get supplies for her.

Dr. A. Clark :

Sure

Customer:

isnt it better to use a quicker in and out if the body opiate to withdraw from methadone than methadone itself since it has a long half life in the body

Dr. A. Clark :

No, actually methadone is ideal for withdrawal purposes in babies and adults since it does not have to be given as often, has a smoother effect in the system, and relatively little narcotic effect of euphoria, dulling senses, etc.

Dr. A. Clark :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today. I'm not going anywhere but chat is pretty impatient and times us out and kicks us off every 4 minutes if we don't "chat".

Customer:

well thank you very much i cant talk to them when they are in the nicu and the nurses refuse to talk to me even with my daughters permission. it was lovely to talk to a doctor who answered more than one question. we would not chose this teaching hospital again because you never see a familiar face and you feel nobody really knows who you are

Dr. A. Clark :

Teaching hospitals have their drawbacks but most are excellent. May I ask what hospital she is in?

Dr. A. Clark :

You do have to deal with lots of extra people: nursing and medical students, faculty, interns, etc but that is how I learned to do what I do.

Customer:

she is in jersey shore medical center in neptune new jersey

Customer:

thank you so very much

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.