Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

I have a 5.75 year old grand daughter-normal size and energy who craves salt, trys to eat

I have a 5.75 year old grand daughter-normal size and energy who craves salt, trys to eat from the salt shaker.
insominia is an issue, ask for a drink even when unable to obtain sale at least 3x hour
any ideas. dr says no big deal, did no tests-she lives with us

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. I'm Dr. Clark and happy to be able to assist you, being a grandparent myself.

Dr. A. Clark :

I would be concerned too and believe the doctor should have done some basic tests just to reassure you (and me) that she is OK. I would insist on a urine analysis and electrolytes (blood test) just to be sure her kidneys are functioning normally as well as other systems that regulate our fluid and electrolyte balance in our blood. If these were normal then I would not be concerned and then the onus is on her caretakers to withhold her access to salt.

Dr. A. Clark :

It would be unusual for her salt craving to be a sign of any serious illness or metabolic problem but worth checking into. In the meantime, as with kids who hoard food, eat or drink too much, etc it is simply a matter of restricting her access to salt.

Customer:

I wondered about other systems-hormones, i noted from adults on the internet these were frequently an issues

Customer:

I don't know if this is the place to reply?