Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Woke up noticing red dots on hands & wrists. We had slept on

Woke up noticing red dots on hands & wrists. We had slept on the deck outside in Colorado but these had not appeared at other times within the month sleeping out (or after the fact when we took our chance & slept out again). Only 2 of the 3 of us had them but none of us were in the same bed or area of the deck. The red dots just looked like we had been dotted with red marker onto our skin. They were not raised or look anything like a bite (no center to them). They did not begin to itch (even with scratch-testing) until several hours later (9+ hrs. after waking?). Then they became totally different with the look of mosquito bites. They are horribly itchy & have been for 5 days. There were around 10 on myself & around 20 on my 10 yr. old. They do not seem to have increased in number or others we have contact with do not seem to be getting them. I am wondering if these are a concern for either our own health, contagious to others, or household issues (bed bugs, etc.). Any ideas?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hello, I'm Dr. Clark and I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I suspect you just have chigger bites, which are very common in the summer. These insects are microscopic so you cannot see them and they don't cause any pain or itching when they bite you. They characteristically don't itch for at least 1-2 days and that is when you notice them. These are harmless, don't lead to any other infections or illnesses and will go away on their own. Benadryl by mouth or topically will help with the itching.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'll watch for your return to chat with any questions.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions as I'm standing by to assist you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I see you have not reviewed my reply so I'll switch us to the Q&A mode since chat is to be used if both of us are online and able to chat. I'll watch for your return to our conversation and am happy to assist you.

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
Since you've not accepted/rated my answer I can only assume I did not meet your expectations. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Thanks and regardless I hope your child is doing well.
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 2 years ago.
I remain ready to assist you and hope you will return to our conversation so that I can complete our consultation. Thank you.