Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

I have a 6 1/2 month old daughter which is always burping etc...

I have a 6 1/2 month old daughter which is always burping etc... she sleeps well at night as long as I've spent 1/2 hr rubbing her back and patting her back to get all the burps out. I have to go in to her probably about 4 times in the night to either put her dummy in or turn her over or give her gripe water. She'll normally sleep thru to 5am and then have a bottle and go back to sleep after about 45 mins of burping et.c I can never lie her down if she's got air inside.. she squirms and squirms and then finally wakes her self up crying and crying. she often seems fairly tensed up until she's burped.... I have put her on Soy formula as she was getting bad tummy aches on NAN H.A formula. this has helped them but I often have to carry her around burping her. Some people must wonder why she is always squirming and then finally she'll do a burp. often grizzly till she can get it out. is this something that Gaviscon could help or is some of the solids doing it?? She had pear or apple for lunch and pumpkin, sweet potato and potato for T. have just started giving her a mashed weetbix as she seems to get a tummy pain from rice cereal !!! its either fluke that I have to carry her over my arm after she's had rice cereal or she allergice to it....... im starting to get desperate as im not managing to accomplish too much during the day with a 3 yr old as well !!!

Thanks Debbie
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

When did all the symptoms start?

When was she examined by doctor last?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the burping started at around 2 months. took her to the doc the other day as i was getting desperate and he took one look at her and said she's well above her average weight.. you'll have to live it out !!!! I cant do that. not once you try it yourself ! she's just been asleep for 2 hrs and I've had to go into to her and pick her up about 6 times and everytime she's arching her neck and back trying to burp and finally she does one and settles back to sleep and I put her down and then about 10 -15 mins again she's crying out !!!

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Debbie,

Thank you for the input.

The symptoms can be due to reflux.

In small baby reflux can occur in lying down or sleep positions.

Relaxation or weakness of valve of the of the stomach and esophagus can cause reflux.

When babies grow up, it usually goes away.

You can keep the head end of the bed high up to prevent reflux & help the gas out.

Smaller in amount & more frequent feeding can help to keep reflux under control.

If you are breast feeding too you can avoid some food like fried spicy food, carbonated drinks, chocolate, caffeine etc. Please try to take bland diet to check whether it helps.

You can do intermittent burping while feeding & need to keep your baby upright for 15-30 minutes after each feed.

I understand the difficulty you are facing but without burping & letting the gas out, she will have difficulty in falling asleep.

All babies are different & reflux may not occur in all.

Usually thickening of feed helps.

Rice cereal is less allergic & is usually well tolerated.

You can try solids one at a time without mixing so that you can understand which one is causing more gas.

Sometimes, medicines are used to control the symptoms but is usually avoided in uncomplicated cases.

Simethicone preparations like Infacol are used.

This helps to control excess gas.

You can try it for a few days.

But continued treatment would need after evaluation of her doctor.

Acid reducing agent like Ranitidine is also used.

Gaviscon is good to prevent reflux but it should be started after discussion with doctor in person.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask & continue conversation by using reply button.

This will help me to explain further & satisfy you.

Wish her healthy life.

Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've heard people talk about Gaviscone for reflux. My sisters baby had it.. Is this something that would help??!!

is the thickening the tin thing you buy at the chemist in the formula aisle?? Have seen but not used.

Have used infacol since she was born and haven't noticed a difference but still continuing.

She seems to be rather sicky too Sometime she does a little cough after a bottle and bring s the whole thing up. Literally mouth fulls and more and more......this is quite common.

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Gaviscon, ranitidine can help but you need to have a discussion with pediatric gastroenterologist.

As she is more than 6 months old now, solid foods or cereals will do the job.

She seems to be rather sicky too Sometime she does a little cough after a bottle and bring s the whole thing up. Literally mouth fulls and more and more......this is quite common..
Cough can occur if the refluxed feed come to throat. This can incite cough, vomiting. Overfeeding can be a factor in some. You can try to reduce the amount in one feed. This can help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thankyou for your replies.

i take it then that i should go and see the GP to him to asses for gaviscone or ranitidine??

thanks

debbie

Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Debbie,

You are always welcome.

Yes, before giving those, I would suggest to have a discussion with her doctor in person.

You can also ask for a referral to pediatric gastroenterologist.

Meanwhile, you can try the other measures like reducing the amount of feed, raising the head end of the cot etc.

If you are satisfied, please leave an excellent rating.

Good luck.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience: 20 years of experience in treating children.