Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My son is almost two, he got his first tooth at 1. He sucks

My son is almost two, he got his first tooth at 1. He sucks his thumb before napping and bedtime for about 20-30 minutes until he falls asleep. Lately, last cpl of months, he has been randomly sucking his thumb throughout the day, for a few minutes at a time.

He has an overbite. Is it because of the thumb sucking or can it be hereditary? I have one and I always attributed to thumb sucking (for about ten years). Will this be corrected by braces later on?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

It could be the thumb sucking but it won't necessarily lead to problems with his permanent teeth later.

Dr. A. Clark :

It is hard to break a child from thumb sucking but you can try one of the over the counter products that taste bad to see if it helps but I generally don't worry about it as most will stop on their own.

Customer:

But how can thumb sucking form an overbite in less than a year

Customer:

and supposedly its not from thumb sucking and its heredinary, can that be corrected 100%?

Dr. A. Clark :

His upper and lower teeth and his jaw are still growing and you can't really tell yet if it will last. If it does then there are appliances the dentist or orthodontist can apply that will stop it and even correct the overbite if necessary.

Customer:

Cool!:) Self conscious because of my own overbite!!

Customer:

Except that he is growing into an amazing happy healthy lil boy

Customer:

Im blessed!!

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. A. Clark :

If you ever want to have it fixed the oral surgeons have some pretty incredible procedures they do to advance your jaw and chin. I have seen it done several times and the results are nothing short of amazing. One mom whose kids I took care of came in after having it done and I didn't recognize her!

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer:

Thanks dr C!

Customer:

You are nothing short of amazing!