Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My child - 20 months - has tonsilitis for the past week. Hes

My child - 20 months - has tonsilitis for the past week. He's been on bactrim, keflex and now they have put him on amoxil. He is tired and not himself. Apparently, he is also dehydrated because he had very high temps - 39 - for the first 5 days. Yesterday and today are the only two days that he hasn't had a temperature. He has been on Panadol, Nurofen and Ponstan for the temp. He is just not his happy go lucky self. Really miserable and sleeping quite a lot. Is there something more wrong with him?

Dr. A. Clark :

Hello. I'm Dr. Clark and I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Are you able to chat right now?

Dr. A. Clark :

Perhaps you've stepped away from your computer but I do have some advice on what to do for him based on the information you've provided here.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'll watch for your return to chat and will be notified.

Customer:

Hi I'm back

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi.

Dr. A. Clark :

Did his doctor check him for strep?

Dr. A. Clark :

That is the only bacterial infection that is treated with an antibiotic.

Customer:

Yes - apparently very pussy and inflamed. So much so that he even had blisters in his mouth

Customer:

Also came out with a rash on his torso which they said may be from the temp, antibiotics or infection

Dr. A. Clark :

In that case you should know that strep is not treated with sulfa (Bactrim) and not as sensitive to Keflex and Amoxil has it has been in the past so he may not be adequately treated with any of them. I generally only use Cefdenir or Cefixime since we see so much resistance now.

Dr. A. Clark :

The worst sore throats can be viral so another option would be infectious mononucleosis (mono) and that is easy to test for. Also, we see lots of viral infections that cause ulcers, fever, rashes, etc and no antibiotic treats them.

Customer:

I'm not a doctor and have to go by what I'm advised by mine. Are the ones you suggest known by any other name because I've not heard of them?

Dr. A. Clark :

Those are the generic names for Omnicef and Suprax and they are available world wide.

Customer:

Thanks - I'll ask my doctor. But I'm more concerned that he's not eating properly, sleeping and generally very miserable

Dr. A. Clark :

That just goes along with throat infections, viral or strep, but I suspect he has a virus so I would ask his doctor first if he really had strep and perhaps change to one of the above mentioned antibiotics. Also, you might see if they will do a mono test - it just takes 15 minutes.

Customer:

What does it involve?

Dr. A. Clark :

Finger stick blood test.

Dr. A. Clark :

If he has mono then he can be treated with prednisone which will help him feel better quickly.

Customer:

So the lethargy, etc is nothing to worry about? There is no underlying gremlin lurking? that I should be concerned about?

Customer:

What are the names of prednosone?

Dr. A. Clark :

I doubt that anything more ominous is going on as his symptoms are compatible with a throat infection.

Dr. A. Clark :

Prednisone is also called prednisolone and there are many brand names for these two steroids.

Customer:

Thank you - I'll look into it right away. Will the amoxil help eventually?

Dr. A. Clark :

I doubt it as at least 30% of strep bugs are resistant to penicillin.

Dr. A. Clark :

I just don't use it anymore for that reason.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions and if not I trust you will take the opportunity as you exit chat to rate my advice favorably. Thanks.

Customer:

One more question - and I know I keep on with the fact that my son is not his normal self - could the infection be a virus? and would the symptoms be the same?

Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.
Yes, which is what I said above regarding mono or one of the many other viral throat infections that can cause fever, mouth ulcers (strep does not) and a rash. Just ask his doctor to do a mono spot test first.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
I trust you found my advice helpful and if so I hope you will return to chat to rate my answer favorably. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
I hope your child is doing well and that you will return to this conversation to rate my advice since you appear to have found it helpful. Thanks
I trust you will return to our conversation to favorably rate/accept my answer. If you have any further questions please let me know.
Since you've not accepted/rated my answer I can only assume I did not meet your expectations. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Thanks and regardless I hope your child is doing well.
I remain ready to assist you and hope you will return to our conversation so that I can complete our consultation. Thank you.