Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

My 8 month old daughter has had a fever between 99-102 F for

My 8 month old daughter has had a fever between 99-102 F for 4 days now. We took her to her pediatrician on day 1 and he said that she had enterovirus because of some sores he saw in her throat. He said that she could develop sores on her hands, feet or diaper area and would probably get loose stools. Her stools are still normal (She is breastfed so they are always a little loose), and not any more frequent than usual. When we took her before, her appetite was still good but now she is less interested in eating (bottle or breast). She will only eat a couple oz at a time when she normally eats 5 oz every 3 hours. How long does fever typically last with this virus or could it be something else? When she has Tylenol or Motrin on board to keep the fever down she acts OK, just tired and fussy but she will play for short spells. She just acts like she doesn't feel good.
She had been having trouble with ear infections but the doctor said her ears looked great when we took her a few days ago (which suprised me, I really thought her ears caused the fever)! What else could it be and how long can we just sit on this as "it's a virus"?
Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. SS. I will try my best to help you.

How high is her fever now?

How is urine?

How are the sores in her mouth?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't see the sores in her throat, I haven't really pried her mouth open to look.

Her fever this morning was 100 F

They didn't test her urine but she is still peeing ok.

Hello Jessica,

Thank you for the input.

From her history it sounds like Hand, Foot, Mouth disease.

Similar illness can be caused by enterovirus.

Usually the illness subsides with supportive treatment in a week.

In most cases there is excellent recovery.

Sores in the mouth can cause difficulty in sucking & less intake.

You are following the right measures.

Maintaining hydration, keeping the temperature lower by antipyretics like Tylenol/ Motrin are important.

As she is passing urine normally, it seems she is well hydrated.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask & continue conversation by using reply button.

This will help me to explain further & satisfy you.

Wish her healthy life.

Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can it still be hand, foot and mouth with sores only in her mouth? There are none anywhere else.

Yes, it can be & sores may not appear in all areas in all cases.

But if the fever continues to run high, a review by doctor needs to be taken.

Any other infection like a bacterial one, condition of the sores in the mouth or any complication should be checked for.