Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

My 3 week old baby is half breast feed and half formula feed.

My 3 week old baby is half breast feed and half formula feed. I use formula to top up when I don't have enough breast milk. What kind of pattern should be normal in terms of bowel movement? She had 2 to 4 poop daily until today she has nothing. Is she constipated or is the formula not suitable for her? She's on the similac for roughly 10 days now and other than her stools are a little firmer, she had no problem. She does have at least 6 wet diapers just no poo today.
Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. SS. I will try my best to help you.

Is she taking feeds normally?

Is there any other symptom?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has Ng tube so she's taking everything normally. Had normal weight gain. I don't feel there's any big difference other than today she's more awake during the day

Thank you for the input.

It is normal.

Some babies may not pass stool for a day or two without any problem.

As long as baby is passing gas, no abdominal distension, taking feed normally, no need to worry.

In formula feeding, baby can be constipated but there is no need to change the formula as she is taking it normally without any other symptom.

Ensure that the baby is getting adequate feeding & fluid.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask & continue conversation by using reply button.

This will help me to explain further & satisfy you.

Wish her healthy life.

Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is passing gas. But why is there a change in pattern from at least twice a day to nothing? When should I be concerned about constipation?
In case she does not pass gas with swelling of abdomen or pain, then it can suggest that there can be an obstruction.

In infants constipation can occur with no apparent cause.

Some may pass stool every few days without any trouble.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So passing gas, wetting diapers but no stool is normal even for a few days?
Yes, it can be normal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr SS. My baby finally pooped after skipping two days. Her poop looks normal. So this kind of pattern is normal?

She becomes more cranky over the last two days. Won't sleep in crib and cry until we hold her. Or when she's awake, she just moves non stop. Kicking and waving her arms. Because she's tube fed,she's constantly moving that we're afraid she'll choke on her own saliva. Sometimes she moves so much that she does cough. Doesn't happen often. Maybe once or twice a day. Is she not feeling comfortable or she's just looking for people to hold? She will somtimes frown or cry in her sleep. This didnt happen until the last few days.

Is she more prone to congestion or mucous because go her Ng tube? Sometimes she sounds like she caught a cold where I can hear her nose sound stuffed.
This pattern of bowel movement is normal. As the stool was normal looking you need not to worry.

Once or twice coughing in a day can occur from irriation of mucus. If you see her nose is stuffed, you can use nasal saline drops to clear it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any comment on her sleeping pattern and why she's so cranky? I also realize she doesn't move as much in our arms compare to in her crib.
Babies can move often, throw arms in bed, frown in sleep.

Holding the baby is often helpful.

The more you hold her, the less cranky she will be.

You can also rock her gently while in crib.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. But she seems to be addicted and only sleep in our arms. We can't really do that 24/7. Will it be harmful to her let cry? Or any solution?

I understand it is not possible to hold her always.

There is no such definite way how baby feels comfortable.

Some may like to be free, others may like to be wrapped.

Occasional crying is not harmful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But can we swaddle her to sleep? She's 5 weeks old. She's able to roll on both sides on her own. She sometimes wake up by her own startle. Wrapping her arms in doesn't feel safe when she can turn on her own right?
Please do not cover her hands.

You can tuck in the cover which can help to keep her on the back.

Please do not cover more than half of her body.

This will prevent the cover to come up to cover the head.

After crying for sometime she will sleep by her own.

If she cries vigorously, then you should try to rock, take her in lap.