Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My baby has started eating rice cereal 3 times a day. About

My baby has started eating rice cereal 3 times a day. About 10g each time, mixed with breast milk. Does one round of solids count for one feed? Also, I used to give him poly-visol drops. In addition to breast milk he has 13 ounces of formula and 17 ounces of breastmilk. So I know cereal is fortified and formula has vitamins and iron too. Is it safe to give him Poly-visol with all of this?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. Generally the cereal feedings are given between formula/breast feedings and what then happens is that he will begin to stretch out his milk feedings as he takes the cereal.

Dr. A. Clark :

You may continue to give him the vitamins as prescribed due to the fact that vitamins in foods are not absorbed as readily as the multivitamins.

Customer:

I am more concerend about the iron

Customer:

the Gerber cereal says that 2 feeds provides 100% of the iron required for the day

Customer:

He has similac and that has Iron too

Customer:

the poly visol says that babies get iron poisoning

Dr. A. Clark :

Even then it will not be too much as formula interferes with the efficient absorption of the iron that is in breastmilk.

Dr. A. Clark :

He will not get overdosed using the appropriate dose.

Customer:

so I can still give him 1 ml of poly visol?

Dr. A. Clark :

Sure.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions and it is always good to have a virtual visit with you.

Customer:

Just one more question doctor clark.. If he is taking solid feed 3 times a day will that replace a feed?

Dr. A. Clark :

Probably so since babies instinctively regulate their calorie intake to match their current growth rate. Not to worry.

Dr. A. Clark :
Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.