Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.

Rash on 1 year old

My niece had a fever of 103 for about 36 hours. It went down to about 100 for another 12-18 hours and has been gone for about another 12-24 hours when she woke from a nap with a rash on her shoulders, back and chest (her torso).  Is she contagious? After what delay should she consult?  She is grumpy but other than that she seems fine.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

It sounds like your niece has a viral infection that many infants and toddlers are having right now which is Roseola. This is a harmless rash virus that all children have at this age that is always characterized by a fever to 103 or more for 2-3 days followed by the fever going away and a rash appearing on the trunk initially and then spreading to the face. It is completely harmless and she is NOT contagious and may return to daycare or exposure to other children.

Dr. A. Clark :

I see you are still offline but if you have any questions when you return please let me know. Otherwise I trust you will find my advice helpful and if so I hope you will rate it favorably when offered the opportunity as you exit chat.