Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

4yr old boy. no signs & symtoms of any problems. went for examination.

4yr old boy. no signs & symtoms of any problems. went for examination. several weeks ago. had cold.no problems since. very active. Doctor told parent to take child to emergency room. Kept over night. When discussed childs activites, found that he was active and no complaints of pain, a few black & blues. No other syptoms. I found that he had a cold , Doctor ordered more blood work. Platlets came back at 17 L. I feel that he should be watched for a while. I do not believe he should be put on corticosteroids at this time. I would appreciate your Medical. Thank you, Sincerely, XXXXX
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

It sounds like what you are describing it a condition where the platelets are low called idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura (ITP) where the child has easy bruising and bleeding. If the platelet count was 17,000 then that can be quite serious with even spontaneous bleeding in organs, including the brain. It is treated with either steroids or more commonly with IV immune globulin when severe and that is determined by the hematologist usually.

Dr. A. Clark :

I see you are offline and I am locked on your other question right now so I'll post an answer there too.

Customer:

so presently the only symptoms were some bruising, but no bleeding. Seen by one Hematologist who said bring him in to hospital tomorrow. But I don't feel he needs anything currently. I think some observation first, because he has no symptoms, very active, and I believe this might be related to the flu that he had a few weeks back. what do you think?

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 3 years ago.
The normal range of platelet count is 150,000 - 400,000 platelets per microliter (mcL). You mention it as 17 L, which is bit confusing.
If it really is 17K per mcL, still he may be observed as indoor patient and no active treatment may be necessary.
As I commented before 17,000 is a very low count and he needs to be seen by the hematologist as planned.
I disagree with the expert who inserted himself into our conversation in that your child should NOT be allowed any physical activity where he may be injured. A platelet count of 17,000 is low enough that even minor trauma or none at all can result in a catastrophic hemorrhage into any organ, even his brain, causing a stroke or worse. Please take him in to see the hematologist as planned and don't just observe him at home.