Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Hey Dr Clark, I am waiting on some results to determine if

Hey Dr Clark,
I am waiting on some results to determine if my child is a carrier for some condition that is normally a Mediterranean thing. I want to say maybe betathallysemia (sp) . Here is some bloodwork in which they said first showed a possible sign of it(over a year ago).
EOS. 5
Neutrophils 18
MCV. 71
Lymphs. 71
RBC. 5.08
MCH. 23.8

I feel like it was the MCV or MCH that was concerning. Can u tell me anymore about this? I thought that it was a fairly common condition but then my husband toldme that he read online that it involves blood transfusions and life expectancy is 20-30?! That is so scary to me and is appreciate your input while I wait. Thanks, Angie
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

What you are talking about is thalassemia, a blood condition that can range from pretty benign to serious, depending on the genetics of your condition (major vs. minor). Most have thalassemia minor and are not really affected by it at all except their blood count can be a little off.

Dr. A. Clark :

There are two major groups, again depending on the genetics inherited - alpha and beta, with minor and major forms of each, major being more severe, while minor being less serious. I would not be too concerned at this point as it is a very common inherited trait that usually only causes the blood count, not the child's health, to be slightly affected.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know when you find out more and in the meantime here is a link to Mayo Clinic's website about this:

Customer: Does the counts I have you point to major or minor? Do u know if test results give you a clear diagnoses on the type? Also, does the numbers you saw in his blood count point to definite thallesemia diagnoses?
Customer: Do u see this often?
Dr. A. Clark :

The test results (genetic) will differentiate the conditions but the blood count you gave me had a normal red cell count and I assume a normal hemoglobin so I would guess it is likely the minor variant and most likely alpha, not beta.

Customer: The red count was normal? It got flagged...
Dr. A. Clark :

The cell size (MCV) is a little on the low side so that is likely what they noticed.

Customer: I mean the red count itself got flagged..
Dr. A. Clark :

The RBC count of 5.08 is well within the normal range of 4.7-6.1 for boys.

Customer: We got preliminary results today a
Customer: nd he was not anemic...
Customer: Huh
Dr. A. Clark :

Kids with thalassemia major are always anemic and require blood transfusions so he would have to be a minor variant if he has it at all.

Customer: Would the major group typically be anemic?
Dr. A. Clark :

See above.

Dr. A. Clark :

Be right back - with a patient.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hang on a few minutes.

Customer: Ahhhh, finally what I was hoping to hear. He's had bloodwork at 1, 2, and now 2 1/2 and hemoglobin was always fine..
Customer: That means not anemic, right?
Dr. A. Clark :

Right and therefore not likely thalassemia major, and probably it at all just a carrier or minor variant.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions and if not I trust you will return to chat to rate my advice favorably.

Dr. A. Clark :

In any case I wish you and your child well and if I can be of any further assistance now or in the future feel free to request me by name.

Dr. A. Clark :
Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I see you have not returned to chat but I hope you found my advice helpful and that your child is doing well. Please let me know if I can be of further service.

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
I trust you will return to our conversation to favorably rate/accept my answer. If you have any further questions please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already rated excellentdays ago. Thank you.
Thanks. The system sometimes will not credit me until I switch us from chat to Q&A mode for some reason.