Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My daughter has had a low grade temperature for the last 5

My daughter has had a low grade temperature for the last 5 days. It has risen to 101 l as st night and 100.8 right now. She has mucus in her stool and just vomited (lightly after drimking breastmilk). She is getting over a cold and still has a mild cough. She is lethargic and not herself. Ive been giving her tylenol but the duration has me concerned
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 1 year ago.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

I would have to agree with you, fever for 5 days in an 8 month old baby is a cause of concern

PediatricMD :

I believe that there could be potentially significant reasons for the same, that require a visit to the pediatrician

PediatricMD :

these include (but are not limited to) an ear infection

PediatricMD :

or even a Urinary Tract infection

PediatricMD :

I would certainly encourage an urgent appointment with the pediatrician today...

PediatricMD :

tell them that she is lethargic and not herself, and you will be seen

PediatricMD :

The examination will help decide if any further tests are needed/ prescription medications are required,

PediatricMD :

....

PediatricMD :

Can i help you with any thing else?

Customer:

The ped checked her ears Monday. No ear infection. He didnt think she had a twmp Monday bc she was 98.8 but she had just had tylenol. I can feel a difference even when her temp i s 99

PediatricMD :

I understand, but 4 days have passed since that time, it is certainly possible to develop an ear infection in this time period

PediatricMD :

also a UTI may need to be ruled out given the h/o of vomiting, and mucus in stools

PediatricMD :

I am concerned with the weekend coming up, that she may become more unwell,

PediatricMD :

and require a visit to the ER....

Customer:

Ok. She is not exibiting any signs of ear infection. No tugging on ear. Would her urine be a diff color?

PediatricMD :

It is very difficult to be sure about these problems on the basis of the history alone,

PediatricMD :

however yes, the urine may be concentrated and a bit yellow

PediatricMD :

PLUS she MAY have some pain during/ after passing urine...

PediatricMD :

But again none of this needs to be present in many small babies

Customer:

Also, could a change in my diet effect her? I've been eating ypgurt which I haven't eaten since she was born.

PediatricMD :

No,

PediatricMD :

Fever and lethargy will not result from your eating yogurt

Customer:

She had been eating less ppl food and just drinking more. Is that significant?

PediatricMD :

ppl food?

Customer:

People food.Could she have a bacterial infection bc of mucus in stool

PediatricMD :

Yes,

Customer:

Could I try to cut out people food and just breastfeed her or is there no reason to do so?

Customer:

Yes to what?

PediatricMD :

That it could be a bacterial infection

PediatricMD :

we need to get a pediatrician to have a look again for the same and consider prescription medicine for the same

Customer:

Ok. Thank you. I will visit the ped office tomorrow. My normal ped is on vaca so we've seena stand in which is never the same

PediatricMD :

I agree,

Customer:

Thank you and have a good night

PediatricMD :

You too ...

PediatricMD :

Do leave a positive feedback

Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience: MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 1 year ago.
If you have any further questions, regarding the pediatricians examination, or any other concerns over the weekend, do not hesitate to get back,
I may not be online, but I will certainly try to answer your questions,
Warm regards