Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.

Im feeding my baby through a NG tube. Does she has to be awake

I'm feeding my baby through a NG tube. Does she has to be awake when fed or doesn't matter? Sometimes I can't wake her up and when she wakes up her feeding is delayed. If her feeding time is delayed then we should delay her entire schedule? Also, she's 12 days old, how many times should she poop in a day? The last time she pooped was 2am bag I haven't seen anything yet and now is close to 6pm.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 11 months ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

An NG tube avoids the need to wake your baby so that you can safely deliver the needed amount of calories to help her grow.

Customer: So I don't have to wake her up to feed then.
Dr. A. Clark :

No, you don't need to wake her since there is no risk of aspiration while tube feeding. The frequency of stools is really not important either as long as they are soft. Most babies eat every 3-4 hours for the first couple of months and poop nearly as often initially. This changes over time and the stools slow down, plus with tube feeding they swallow less air and have less gas!

Customer: But for the bottle oral stimulation part we have to make sure she's completely awake then
Dr. A. Clark :

Yes, so that she learns to suck and swallow in a coordinated way.

Customer: So for her stools, doesn't matter if I don't see a thing today?
Dr. A. Clark :

No. If she goes more than 3-4 days you can give her a glycerin suppository to stimulate her.

Customer: its soft. She pooped once at 7 last night and 2am this morning and nothing since. She peed a lot though
Dr. A. Clark :

I doubt she will go that long and what you are describing is common and nothing to worry about.

Customer: okay. Yesterday was her first day home and she didnt sleep at all from late evening and all through the night. She has been sleeping since this morning and not waking up. I guess because of the new environment yesterday that cause her to be this tired today?
Dr. A. Clark :

It will take a few days for her to adjust to home but don't make it too quiet around her as she is used to the noises of the nursery.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hang in there for a few days and she will settle in a bit and try to stick to a schedule for her feeds, which is something a baby being bottle fed on demand can't stand.

Dr. A. Clark :

Did you have any other questions. Chat will kick us off if neither of us posts anything for 4 minutes.

Customer: So I can just stick to the schedule with the Ng feed
Dr. A. Clark :

Yes since that is an advantage you have not having to feed her when she cries but keeping her on a schedule and "tanked up".

Customer: i thought I had to wake her up so wasn't able to keep up. Also I figured with the OT that I don't have to oral stim her every feed
Customer: Okay. Thanks for your help
Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome and good luck.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm online most of the time so feel free to ask for me anytime.

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She just pooped but the amount is very small. It's not soft but more like 3 circular shaped stool. Color is like mustard. Do you think it's because I'm supplementing formula? Her poop before is more like yellow mustard texture and color.
It changes like the weather and the milk also has an effect of the color. Still nothing to worry about.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So texture of the poop is not a concern? I thought it always should be like pudding.
It can range from mustard to seedy to firm so don't worry unless it is hard like a rock.
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Dr Clark, is it normal sometimes I hear my baby cough? She's not eating or anything. Just while she's sleeping. Is it because of the Ng tube? Also I was given different information on the ph testing of the stomach acid to check the placement of the Ng tube. One pamphlet said has to be under 4. One said has to be under 5.5. I've always been getting the range of 4 to 5.5. Haven't had a problem with feeding her. So I'm just a bit confused.
Babies make all kinds of noises and kids with tubes often gag a bit. As to the pH that is fine and the main thing is that it does not go higher, like 7 or more, indicating it has moved down into the small bowel.
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Dr Clark, this morning I notice she has some nose mucus in the nostril where she has the tube in. When she breathes, she sounds like her nose is stuffed. Like when we had a cold. She sneezed like 6 times on the last 2 3 hours. She start to breath calmee after we removed that piece of mucus at the entrance of her nostril but just feel like there're dome more inside. Any idea what's wrong with her?
This is pretty common in babies with NG tubes due to a couple of things: the tube irritates the nose so more mucous is secreted and it partially obstructs the sinus openings and nostril, also causing more congestion. Just keep it suctioned best you can with a bulb or you might pick up one of those new suction devices called nosefrida, available at a pharmacy.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. Also I notice this morning in the area beside her mouth is wet. About the size of a loonie. Looks like saliva plus a tiny bit of milk. Is she just drooling? First time I see her drool and hope she's not vomiting.

After NG tube feeding, how long should we hold her before putting her back to bed? Last night I hold her for 10 mins and put her back to bed. 5 mins later she was coughing a few times. I'm not sure if its because I put her down till fast.
I'm sure just drooling but even with a tube she may spit. Not to worry though.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks!! Forgot
To ask is it better to keep on replying here or start a new question and ask for you?

Is it normal to have hiccups roughly twice a day?
You may continue to chat here or start a new chat. Your choice.

Hiccups a completely normal and only bother you,not your baby.
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How come she cough while we were Ng tube feeding her? She took the fed half way and then cough once and she's okay. No sign of distress or anything. Why is that?I asked this previously but didnt see your answer. After NG tube feeding, how long should we hold her before putting her back to bed? Last night I hold her for 10 mins and put her back to bed. 5 mins later she was coughing a few times. I'm not sure if its because I put her down till fast.
All babies can cough, gag, etc from time to time and with an NG tube there is more irritation of the throat due to the tube stimulating and irritating the throat and triggering a cough reflex.

As to putting her down, there really is no difference than when you bottle or breast feed since at this age they are usually asleep pretty quick when their tummies are full. So just put her down as soon as the feeding is in and it is a good idea to prop the head of her crib/bassinet so she sleeps with the head of the bed elevated to prevent reflux, which can also cause a cough.
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Dr Clark, why my baby is only congested at nighttime. I never hear her cough or sneeze in the morning. Even when she sleeps, she doesn't sound congested or full of mucus. But at night, everything came. I would think if its the Ng
Tube, it would bother her both day and night.
It is normally worse at night due to less moisture in the air when everyone is sleeping (and not showering, cooking, etc) and your AC or heat is running, drying out the air and her secretions. You should place a cool mist humidifier next to her bed close enough for the moisture droplets to accumulate on her face as well as propping her up either in her infant/car seat or elevating the head of her crib to keep her head elevated. That plus the saline drops (Ayr, NaSal, Baby Noses, etc) and suction prior to bed/naps will help a lot.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I read online that we shouldn't suction unless I see the snort or mucus. Is that true? I also thought its not healthy for her back to sleep in a car seat? Maybe we should try the cool mist humidifier
Suctioning is fine at any age and sleeping upright or on an incline will NOT hurt her back, I assure you. A cool mist humidifier is very helpful as well.
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dr Clark. My girl is close to 3 weeks old now and sometimes I notice some discharge looking stuff on her diaper and some close to her labia. It's not a lot. Just a few spots. Is that normal? What is that?
I replied in your new question so no need to respond here.
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician