Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.

Small irritated part of my throat for about a month now. No

Small irritated part of my throat for about a month now. No other symptoms. It feels irritated on the left side of my throat in the middle. Adnoids and tonsils have been removed. I just want to make sure this isn't cancer.

Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 11 months ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. I see you are offline now but allow me to go ahead and give you the short answer now to alleviate your concern.

Dr. A. Clark :

Pain in the throat on one side is generally always due to a viral infection and you likely have a little ulcer or raw spot in your throat. Strep is not as common with no tonsils so unlikely.

Dr. A. Clark :

Cancer in the throat is very uncommon at your age too and generally would be on the lips, tongue or inside the mouth, not the throat anyway.

Dr. A. Clark :

Warm saltwater gargles several times daily help with the pain but certainly if you start running fever or are getting worse you should be checked by your doctor.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'll watch for your return to chat and any questions you might have.

Customer: So would this doesn't sound like anything serious? Have you heard of these symptoms before? It's definely not that painful. Does it concern you it's been about a month?
Dr. A. Clark :

While cancer is not common in people your age it would not be a bad idea to have someone take a look inside your throat. You could have your doctor do it or you could have an ENT doctor look with a scope. I'd just start with your regular doctor or an urgent care.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm not too concerned about pain as a sign of cancer.

Dr. A. Clark :

Difficulty swallowing, hoarseness, etc would be more worrisome.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions but again, at your age cancer is not high on the list.

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.