Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
239748

My baby was having a bath late morning,, I usually put him

My baby was having a bath late morning,, I usually put him on legs and his head between my knees, facing downwards and pour water to wash his hair. (he has a LOT of hair on his tiny head) today I gave him an oil bath and he slipped right thru my legs and landed face down on the bath tub. There wasnt much of a height so it was not a hard fall but it would've definitely hurt. I picked him up and he was smiling like it was a game. I am so worried about him :( He seemed perfectly fine after that. was playing and jumping around.. smiling and everything. I am just worried that the impact may affect his brain or soemthing? My nanny told me that he was playing fine in the afternoon and when I got home in the evening he was ready for a nap.. I have put him to sleep now and he seems really tired. I hope none of the shaken baby problem happend. I am so worried and guilty.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 3 years ago.

PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

This is a common issue,

PediatricMD :

and luckily for everyone concerned, it is NOT a serious problem in THIS particular case, since you were present and immediately rectified the problem

PediatricMD :

Drowning in bath tubs and near drownings are very important hazards in small babies

PediatricMD :

however in this case, NOTHING serious seems to have happened, and you can be rest assured that there will no long term problem in this situation

PediatricMD :

You must take steps to ensure that this does not happen again ... (like using a non slip surface for bathing)

PediatricMD :

BUT for this particular episode, there is no reason to be fearful,

PediatricMD :

Please get back for any clarifications,

PediatricMD :

Warm regards

PediatricMD :

Dr Gupta, MD

Customer:

thank u doc :)

Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Experience: MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.