Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My 12year old daughter has a very hairy body especially her

My 12year old daughter has a very hairy body especially her lower back and facial hair. Should I be concerner

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

It might be worthwhile having her doctor check her hormone levels: thyroid, estrogen, FSH, LH, etc. There are some ovary conditions that can cause overproduction of hormones, including testosterone-like hormones, that can cause hirsutism.

Dr. A. Clark :

This can occur regardless of whether she has started her periods.

Dr. A. Clark :

Just have her doctor do a good physical exam and check where she is in puberty and her hormones and if necessary she can be referred to a gynecologist for further evaluation.