Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.

I just came back from getting labwork for my 11mo old. High

I just came back from getting labwork for my 11mo old.

High results: RBC: 5.48, Hemoglobin: 14.5 Hematocrit: 43.4 Lymphocytes:65 Absolute Lymphocytes: 7.9

Low results: MPV 6.8, Basohil 0, Absolute Basophil: 0

I will be talking to his pediatrician Monday... should I worry now?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 11 months ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hello. I'm Dr. Clark and I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Can you tell me first why the blood test was being done?

Customer:

We are changing my son from formula to milk

Customer:

the Doctor wanted to see if he should get vitamins

Customer:

we had a cbc diff and lead test done

Customer:

nothing that we were worrying about or thought was an issue

Dr. A. Clark :

First, the blood count is fine and the only vitamin a blood count reflects is iron so I suppose that is what was being tested.

Customer:

ok ... the levels on the results page make me concerned

Dr. A. Clark :

If a baby is anemic sometimes whole milk can cause an irritation of the bowel that can lead to anemia but his total red cell count as well as his hemoglobin and hematocrit are fine, which is the test for anemia.

Dr. A. Clark :

The lymphocyte count being "low" is not significant and changes all the time. Also, you should know that most labs do not print pediatric or age-adjusted values and his are fine.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

was freaking and searching infant levels via the net

Customer:

see many different ranges

Customer:

i.e. the concern

Dr. A. Clark :

All he really needed was a hemoglobin or hematocrit but a CBC was ordered which always leads to confusion, which begs the question "why do it?"

Customer:

easier to bill/order?

Dr. A. Clark :

Costs more, for sure!

Customer:

so .. botXXXXX XXXXXne ... nothing to worry about?

Dr. A. Clark :

I assure you this is nothing to be concerned about.

Customer:

that's what I wanted to hear ...

Customer:

thanks!

Dr. A. Clark :

In my practice parents are never given lab results without an explanation, especially on a weekend!

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome and need not worry.

Customer:

esp. because we wont talk to the dr. till monday

Customer:

thanks again...

Customer:

have a great weekend

Dr. A. Clark :

Babies generally always tolerate a change to regular milk any time after 9 months so I'm sure he will do fine.

Dr. A. Clark :

You too.

Customer:

thakns

Customer:

thanks

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions now or in the future.

Customer:

will do ... thanks again .. I can not breath again :)

Customer:

can now :)

Dr. A. Clark :

Take a deep breath (and a sip of wine, perhaps!)

Dr. A. Clark :
Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I trust you will return to chat to rate my answer as you seemed to be satisfied with it. If not please let me know.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
I'm available should you have any further questions and if not I trust you will rate my advice favorably. Thanks.
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.