Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My 6 month old daughter is having not really having constipation,

My 6 month old daughter is having not really having constipation, but is having bowel movement much less this past week. Before she will go once or twice a day, but now have gone to 2+ days between bowel movements. When she does have bowel movement now, it is twice or more than before.

We started her on rice cereal 3 weeks, but we didn't have this problem until last week. It is probably because we went ahead and went to 2-3 meals of rice cereal which was probably too much. We have gone back down to 1 meal a day for a week already.

Her last few bowel movement:
Friday 8/2
Sunday 8/4
Tuesday 8/6
Wednesday 8/7

She hasn't gone for 3 days now, so we're starting to worry a little. She still wets her diaper frequently and maybe a little more fussy. Overall she seems like her normal self.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

This is not unusual at all when solids are started. Is she on any juices?

Dr. A. Clark :

Are you able to chat right now?

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi.

Customer:

We started giving her apple juice twice a day since last week.

Customer:

Maybe a tablespoon each time.

Dr. A. Clark :

Good. I think that will likely take care of it but I would increase her juice and even mix it in her cereal.

Dr. A. Clark :

Adding any food can change a baby's stools, especially cereal. Apple juice helps loosen stools so keep it up at an increased amount until her stools soften.

Dr. A. Clark :

Not having a stool for a few days is really not constipation as that really is related to having hard stools, not infrequent ones.

Customer:

Should we switch from rice cereal to oatmeal cereal?

Dr. A. Clark :

No reason to do that. Just increase the apple juice to 1-2 ounces twice daily

Customer:

Okay.

Customer:

Will my daughter continue to have bowel movement every 2-3days or will she go back to once a day once her stomach get use to solid?

Dr. A. Clark :

She will eventually go back to daily stools when she adapts to cereal and it might happen with other foods too but this is very common and expected.

Customer:

Okay. If she doesn't have bowel movement in another few days. I'll message you back.

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. A. Clark :

Great.