Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

Hello, My 2 week old daughter developed what looks to be a

My 2 week old daughter developed what looks to be a classic looking "stork bite" on her forhead.
Is something that will likely fade away, or be permanent?
Thanks,

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. I'm Dr. Clark and first congratulations on your new baby. I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

These are temporary birth marks and do fade over time but actually can get more red in the first 4 months or so. If it begins to swell above the skin level then it might actually be a hemangioma or strawberry mark. If that happens then there are some new therapies, both topical and orally, that can help them go away sooner but a dermatologist usually prescribes these and they are rarely necessary.

Customer:

Hello

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX does the mark typiclly last?

Dr. A. Clark :

They can last up to a couple of years but most resolve almost completely in the first year and rarely can go on longer than two years but only are visible with straining (like when pooping!) or with fever, getting hot, etc.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a picture, does this appear to be "stork bite"?

Dr. A. Clark :

You are correct and that is a typical stork bite, though I usually call the ones on the back of the neck (which she will also have I assure you) a stork bite and the ones on the forehead an "angel kiss".

Dr. A. Clark :

Check the back of her neck and you'll see one there too.

Dr. A. Clark :

80% of babies have them on the back of the neck.

Dr. A. Clark :

Beautiful baby from what I can see!

Customer:

Thank you!

Customer:

Thanks for the information