Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

four nights ago, while out eating ice cream, my four year old

four nights ago, while out eating ice cream, my four year old son leaned back on the bench falling roughly two feet and hitting i believe to be the back of his head on the cement. He started crying immediately and I held him as we walked back over to our house to put ice on his head. By that point he was talking laughing carrying on like nothing happened. I checked his pupils and there were no signs of problems in dilation. He said his head hurt towards the front but no bruises or bumps appeared. I had him sleep in our room the last few nights so that I could check on him periodically and everything seems to be normal. No nausea dizziness or any other signs of a concussion. Today, however he has had two small nose bleeds. I know in the past we have had problems with him picking his nose and it bleeding. He claims to not have picked his nose these past two times (although the word of a four year old is not always reliable) I am concerned that it could be from his fall. As I said it has been four days and this is the first time anything out of the normal has occurred since, but is there still a chance that there could be head damage?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. I'm Dr. Clark and I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi.

Customer:

Thank you very much! :)

Dr. A. Clark :

I can tell you for certain that the nosebleeds have nothing to do with his head injury!

Customer:

oh phew! I can breathe again! That makes me feel better!

Dr. A. Clark :

You are correct in that toddlers have lots of nosebleeds and not just from picking it but because the blood vessels inside the nose are very prominent and bleed easily.

Customer:

are there still concerns after four days that I should watch for?

Dr. A. Clark :

No since without a loss of consciousness when it happened and the way he's acted since then there is little to no chance that he has any kind of brain or skull injury.

Dr. A. Clark :

At this point you don't need to worry about it as he is too far out from what sounds like a mild blow to his head to be concerned about any damage.

Customer:

okay, thank you so much! This has helped tremendously!

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome and have a great evening.

Customer:

you too

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any questions later.

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

I hope your child is doing well but if you ever have any other problems for which you'd like my advice please feel free to reply here or with a new question, asking for me by name. Have a great day and my best to your family.