Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.

My daughter (nearly 6) has the following symptoms: - Persistent

My daughter (nearly 6) has the following symptoms:
- Persistent cough - usually in the morning (cold + ducted heater on) - to the point of having to vomit.
- No pain, except throat she says, but no pain/discomfort in chest nor tummy area.
- Was quite sick (high fever), but no more fever now. Cough persists.
- Has seen doctor several times, things tried; cough syrup, puffer (Ventolin), 3 days of steroids (corticosteroids; Prednisolone medication)
- Cough was at night, but now mostly in the morning (still to the point of vomiting) and some at night (but less, likely due to the steroids which have reduced coughing a bit in general/at night, but not in the morning)
- The whole family (mum, dad, 2 other children) have had the same, but recovered in a few (3-5) days.
- Serious/concerning cough persists in daughter even after 2 weeks
- Doctor in one of the earlier visits mentioned "some [light?] wheezing" present. Not sure if that remains.

What could this be?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 8 months ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. I'm sorry to hear that your daughter has not made a recovery as quickly as the rest of the family.

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. A. Clark :

I suspect one of two problems is going on. Either she has a sinusitis or bronchitis, which is a bacterial secondary infection common after a viral upper respiratory infection, or she might have a common bronchial infection called Mycoplasma that causes chronic cough, little or no fever, and general malaise but they don't feel that sick, just not well.

Dr. A. Clark :

If sinusitis/bronchitis she will need an oral antibiotic to get over it and I would recommend something like cefdenir (Omnicef) or cefixime (Suprax). If she has mycoplasma the Zithromax is indicated to clear it up.

Dr. A. Clark :

I would ask her doctor about these two possibilities.

Customer:

Understood. How would one know the difference between the two (sinusitis or bronchitis)?

Customer:

Btw, she also coughs after being active

Customer:

Also, how concerned should I be about this situation? It's unsettled both me and my wife seeing her cough so intensely.

Dr. A. Clark :

The fact that she coughs when active leads me to think she has mycoplasma and needs Zithromax.

Dr. A. Clark :

I completely understand as my daughter has it right now and is on day two of Zithromax and already improving.

Customer:

The Ventolin puffer made nearly no difference at all. The steroids did, but only to a certain extent during the day/night (given in the morning), but not in the morning hours before receiving it with breakfast.

Customer:

I am in Australia, not sure if Zithromax is available here

Dr. A. Clark :

Albuterol (Ventolin) only helps if they also have asthma but since this is a bronchial infection and that part of the airway has no muscles in its wall the medicine cannot relax the airway.

Dr. A. Clark :

Azithromycin (Zithromax) is widely available all over the world, including "down under"!

Customer:

She has had no previous signs of asthma

Customer:

:)

Dr. A. Clark :

It is the infection I'm sure and the antibiotic will clear her.

Customer:

Ok, thanks for your help Doctor.

Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience: 33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
I hope your child is doing well but if you ever have any other problems for which you'd like my advice please feel free to reply here or with a new question, asking for me by name. Have a great day and my best to your family.