Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark , Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My 6 year old had a runny nose 4 days ago & began running a

Customer Question

My 6 year old had a runny nose 4 days ago & began running a fever, vomiting & lost her appetite 2 days ago. Her close friend was diagnosed with the flu and has identical symptoms. My daughter's fever was initially up to 103.4. I gave her ibuprofen & her temperature returned to normal in about 45 minutes. She had no appetite the first 2 days & I kept her well hydrated (pedialite, water, popscicles). Today she ate dry toast & jello, did not vomit, & seems a bit better. Her tongue is wet, she has plenty of urine & tears, so I do not think she is dehydrated. As long as I keep her on Tylenol every 4 hours and Advil every 6 hours her temperature remains normal & she feels relatively well. When I cut out the Tylenol, her fever will climb to 100.5 degrees about 30 minutes prior to her next scheduled dosage of Advil, so I am giving both Tylenol and Advil which eliminates fever altogether.

What is your advice on how to proceed?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. I'm Dr. Clark and I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

First, let me say that yours is the best history I've seen a parent provide on this website that relates all the pertinent information I need to know!

Dr. A. Clark :

Now, concerning your daughter. While the flu is certainly possible, it is very uncommon this time of year so unless her friend had a flu test performed (nasal swab) I doubt it was truly influenza. Do you know if she had a flu test?

Dr. A. Clark :

My concern, even if the flu, is that she still is having fever beyond the normal 3-4 days. Children her age are not always very perceptive of what is actually bothering them, such as a sore throat. Is she still having any other symptoms other than fever: headache, nausea, stomach ache, etc?

Dr. A. Clark :

Are you able to chat now?

Dr. A. Clark :

Perhaps you are away from your computer but I'll be standing by for your return. Chat will not stay open if we are not both posting something within 4 minutes but I'll be watching for your reply.

Dr. A. Clark :

I see you have not returned to chat but no problem - I'll be online all evening and ready to assist you when you have the time

Customer:

Dr. Clark, I was told that her friend had the flu but I am not sure if they performed a nasal swab. My daughter has had a sore throat and a dry cough with this illness and this morning she woke up saying her belly hurt. At that point, I was considering strep throat could be a possibility.

Dr. A. Clark :

Strep is definitely a possibility so I'd take her in to see her doctor or an urgent care clinic soon.

Dr. A. Clark :

Flu is very unlikely and often misdiagnosed when a test is not done. We just don't see flu this time of year.

Customer:

Does anything else stand out based on her symptoms? I give her Tylenol and Advil all day long and Delsym at night for her cough to help her sleep well. I do not wake her in the middle of the night to give her any fever reducer and she wakes up with a fever in the morning (100.5)

Dr. A. Clark :

They can do a quick strep test in 5 minutes and then have a better idea what is going on.

Customer:

Okay, I will take her to the urgent care center right now.

Customer:

Thank you so much!

Dr. A. Clark :

Her temp of 100.5 is the bottom range of what we call fever so not worrisome. The other option would be mycoplasma with her persistent low fever and cough but they don't usually have the higher fever early on like she did.

Dr. A. Clark :

Good idea and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. A. Clark :
Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'll be online the rest of the evening and even after you (hopefully!) rate/accept my answer you may return to this chat session with further questions at no additional charge. Thanks and my best to your family.

Customer:

Dr. Clark

Customer:

My daughter tested positive for strep throat. Urgent care doc prescribed Zithromax. Thank you again for your help today. So glad I contacted you!

I'm glad you let me know and that she got diagnosed with something easily treated. Have a great evening.
I hope your child is doing well but if you ever have any other problems for which you'd like my advice please feel free to reply here or with a new question, asking for me by name. Have a great day and my best to your family.