Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.

Hi Dr. Clark , hoping you can help again. Was shopping with

Hi Dr. Clark , hoping you can help again. Was shopping with my 2 1/2 year old and he was in his stroller. i hadnt noticed but he had pulled off a tag from a sweater. When i noticed it ,he was wearing the tag like a bracelet. It was attached w a safety pin and the pin was nowhere to be found. That was two days ago. I've been contemplating since then if he would have put a pin in his mouth and swallowed it w/o me even noticing . I need advice. He has been eating, acting, breathing, sleeping, and pooping normally since this happened. I didn't see him put it in his mouth just saw that it was missing. He has had ALOT of X-rays as a newborn, one chest at 2 months, and one lung and abdomen at 11 months. I am terrified of subjecting him to another xray. Is there any other way to know? I'm terrified that its just gonna be hanging out inside of him causing problems. Please help a very worried mother..

Dr. A. Clark :

I think I can assure you that there is nothing to worry about. Kids swallow lots of things we don't even know about and they all pass through just fine, including such objects as tacks, straight pins, broken Christmas ornaments and other glass, and yes, even safety pins that were open!

Dr. A. Clark :

The only two objects that require immediate intervention are magnets and batteries as they have to be removed quickly. Any object that gets past the Adam's apple area of the throat is going to pass the rest of the way without any trouble.

JACUSTOMER-ii4h7c2b- : I read online that it could lodge itself in stomach or pin a hole in the intestines leading to terrible things..,
JACUSTOMER-ii4h7c2b- : I guess what im
Dr. A. Clark :

You'd be surprised how tough the GI tract is and sharp object RARELY pierce the lining of the stomach or intestines. You really don't need to worry as it is unlikely that he swallowed it in the first place but if he did and didn't choke then it will pass within 4 days. No xray is needed unless you just can stop worrying about it and I agree that less radiation is better.

JACUSTOMER-ii4h7c2b- : I guess what I'm asking is...could the pin stay in his belly for a length of time without causing any symptoms until the damage is irrepairable?
Dr. A. Clark :

No. It will pass right through and it is extremely rare for any object to become stuck in the bowel or stomach.

JACUSTOMER-ii4h7c2b- : Have you dealt with this stuff before?
Dr. A. Clark :

Many times and other than magnets and batteries I've never seen a bad outcome.

JACUSTOMER-ii4h7c2b- : Thank you!!
Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome and stop worrying and have a good evening.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. A. Clark :
Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.

JACUSTOMER-ii4h7c2b- : Oh, one last ? Please. In the extremely rare instance that it did become stuck in belly or pierce his intestine...Would there be symptoms?
Dr. A. Clark :

Yes, as he would have immediate pain, fever, nausea, perhaps vomiting.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm still here!

Dr. A. Clark :

Chat says you are typing but also that you might be having trouble staying in chat. I'll stand by though.

Dr. A. Clark :

I'll switch us over to Q&A mode as I think you might be having trouble on your side of chat. I'll watch for any further questions you have.

JACUSTOMER-ii4h7c2b- : Thank u again and im sure we'll "speak" again. It's really helpful to have an expert opinion when I need it. You really seem to know your stuff. And u are an actual practicing pediatrician , yes? Thanks again.
Yes, I practiced for 27 years before joining a pediatric urgent care company where I am medical director and still see patients too.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Only 27 years?! Just kidding! Have a great night.
Actually now 34 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does the same apply to tiny little shards of steel? I can start a new thread if necessary...
Sure, rarely does anything lodge in the airway for being sharp but rather because being too large to get past the throat or magnets and batteries, which must be removed immediately.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was washing a knife just after using it to cut my sons chicken and I saw that the steel tip had broken off. :(
He had already eaten all of his meal At this point so it's quite possible that he swallowed it. It would be a very small pointy piece of metal. I'm trying to attach the pic but can't seem to do it. Trying to figure out if this would be a problem. This was last night and he's eating drinking and behaving normally. Well, normal for a two year old. ;)
Sorry to bother u again.
Not concerned at all as kids swallow objects that small and larger all the time without difficulty. If it were causing problems he would have pain or even bleeding in his bowel movements.

I would not worry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr Clark- I've been waiting on an answer for you and the moderator came on and told me they they were having trouble getting it to you--- have u seen it? I've paid already...

Hi again Dr. Clark,
I've been wanting to ask your opinion on this, as I've been getting conflicting answers. We have a new baby boy (2 months old) and were referred to an ENT doc at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia to investigate his noisy breathing. They did a laryngoscopy and said that he has very minor laryngomalacia.
Now they want to do more testing to rule out other things including tracheamalacia and a vascular ring. These tests are an esophagram and an airway flouroscopy.
I am very concerned about the amount of radiation my baby will be exposed to during these tests at such a young age.
I wonder if you can give me a better idea of the amount of radiation, the risk, and any other info on your opinion of what we've got going on now.
Thanks very much- it's a comfort to be able to pick your brain.

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Male
Age: 2 months

Edit Price