doc4kids
doc4kids, Pediatrician
Experience:  General Pediatrics and Pediatric Emergency Medicine
9470432

My 20 yr old son have had on and off runs, nausea for 4 days

My 20 yr old son have had on and off runs, nausea for 4 days now. The first day he threw up twice but haven't since then. Each time he eats he feels nauseous and has to go to toilet. What do u think it is.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  doc4kids replied 3 years ago.

doc4kids : Hello. How can I help? If you are available for a chat, we can discuss your concern in real time. Otherwise, I can just leave you a reply.
Customer:

Customer:

I've already submitted my question. I am waiting for your reply.

doc4kids : I am sorry your son is having trouble. Vomiting alone can be many things but when diarrhea occurs at the same time, it is almost certainly gastroenteritis (a stomach bug). In otherwise healthy individuals who are not on antibiotics or other medications, the cause is almost always viral which sadly has no specific treatment apart from the supportive care you are already providing. Of those infectious causes of gastroenteritis not viral, there are a few bacterial and even fewer parasitic. Again in otherwise healthy patients, of the few that are bacterial, most of these are self limited and are not treated with antibiotics as this can cause complications or cause a person to be contagious for an even longer period (I know that seems strange). Since, then, most are viral and even the bacterial causes can get better in a week or less, most physicians don't even look for medicine-needing causes since the illness usually resolves on its own before the tests even come back.
doc4kids : While i know you are doing this already and he may not feel like it much, encouraging him to drink is a great way to keep his fluid levels up.
doc4kids : As soon he can get some solids back in his diet, the sooner his stools will improve. The world health organization and the academy of pediatrics both suggest "feeding though" diarrhea. Which again means having him eat more normal things, if he'll do it. I probably would limit spicy or fried foods though.
doc4kids : Expect this to get better in a 5-7 days. If though he develops persistent or severe pain, is not able to take fluids, has blood in his stools, or he does not seem to be improving as expected, you may wish to have him see his doctor.
doc4kids : Pit may also be reasonable to offer him a dose or two of Imodium. This ca help with slowing his stools and limiting cramping, if present. If nausea is severe, you may wish to discuss medicines like zofran or Phenergan with his doctor.
doc4kids : Good luck. Please let me know if you have follow up concerns.
doc4kids : I am heading offline now but ill check back in he
doc4kids : the AM should you have additional questions.
doc4kids, Pediatrician
Experience: General Pediatrics and Pediatric Emergency Medicine